What $1k rifle??

Sounds like to me the answers to all your questions are personal preference that only you can answer.

True. But even fans of certain guns will be honest as say, ya but this could be better.

Like my old 700 and the noisey safety.

I haven't handled any Brownings yet. Will look at upper end 700s. But like I asked, are the safeties quit?

Like I said in your other thread... The 5R Milspec 700 rifles are around $1K and hard to beat for the money.

The ad is sure interesting. But currently 308 and 300 WSM. I have thought a mag, for some day maybe. I have never shot over 45 yards at a deer. With recent logging, maybe will get extended. Not that I am against over kill.

Not against a new caliber. But I got lots of 30-06 brass, and dies. Was also reading about 338 federal. But 500 or 1k off the bat from Starline, and not worry about whether it makes it or not.

Sounds to me like a quiet safety and Mauser style action are priority for you so this is my suggestion. Get yourself an old Ruger m77 with the tang safety . They are some of the smoothest nicest reliable actions with the quietest safety's I can think of. I have 20 plus years of hunting with a Ruger and never a problem they were not the most accurate but, you don't really need a tack driver at 45 yards! Oh ya and did I say the tang style safety's are QUIET!:D

Sounds to me like a quiet safety and Mauser style action are priority for you so this is my suggestion. Get yourself an old Ruger m77 with the tang safety . They are some of the smoothest nicest reliable actions with the quietest safety's I can think of. I have 20 plus years of hunting with a Ruger and never a problem they were not the most accurate but, you don't really need a tack driver at 45 yards! Oh ya and did I say the tang style safety's are QUIET!:D

Just to muddy the water a bit, I hunt with a 338 Fed Ruger M77 and sometimes I feel like moving the safety from mid safe to fire has a loud click. I only notice it when there are deer in the field, but that's when I need to be the quietest. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

To the OP, I'd look at a Browning Hells Canyon, see if you like it. Awfully close to your target cost and comes in 30-06.

SHM

I was reading about that too. I do like working up loads, so I do shoot little farther for shooting paper.

Doesn't have to be mauser, I was just curious about controlled feed. The huge safety is nice, just want it quite. Maybe I am the only one that an hear it.

Any shoot the rubber Sako? Not sure if i ever dropped a gun, but it does seem like it would reduce the chance.

Reading up today, I want to handle a Ruger 7. Read they have gotten more accurate, not that they were awful. I don't need it, but I like to work up loads.

I really don't need a controlled feed, it is just I never had one, and curious. May get annoyed that I can't load directly. Though I read maybe some you can now.

CZ550 is interesting, but I prefer to buy American. I do think about Finn, cause some Finn in me.

Also need to answer to myself, if I want light or heavy. I don't go really far, but light is nice when walking. I also like to sit and punch paper, and a heavy barrel is nice for that. One of each, if they were free.

77s come with 1" rings. So need to get 1" scope. Not a deal breaker for me.

Check out the Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard. If you like the Howa/Vanguard actions this is a really cool rifle for the price. I saw one at Scheel's the other day in .300 WM and probably would have bought it if I didn't already have a pair of .300 Win Mags. I wish they made this gun in a few more calibers, but they do have .30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.