What $1k rifle??

Zerk

I realize a $1k is cheap to many, and very broad question.

Handled Kimber 84L hunter today, $800, was curious about mauser action and control feed. Safety was load. Ya I have hunted my whole life with load safeties, but I'd like a gun I don't have to make excuse for. Like a woman you don't have to say she is fine when she takes her meds or sober.:D

Besides the obvious being reliability and accuracy, I find two things that you often have to live with are poor magazines, and load safeties, that you have to use tricks to operate.

Savage has quite safety, but sloppy loading from top and cheap magazines. My old 700 has a darn load safety:D

Handled a A7 Sako, $1000, safety was quite as could be. Magazine a little tricky at first, but locked in tight.

Doesn't have to be thousand, I am just to cheap to go over.

I have been thinking about splurging on another 30-06. I was thinking a little about 338, but they seem to mainly come in Savage. I am thinking of selling Savage for this.

Also want a strong action, that can pull a shell out. Not looking to load past listed limits, but right up to them.

This will either be a dud of a topic, or something fun to discuss.

The rubber stock Sako A7 felt good. Worry a little if recoil would tear my cheek off. Also need to research the 1-11 twist. I own lots of 180 grain bullets.

Don't care about cosmetics like wood.

For that budget Check out ER Shaw. They are build off savage action. I just received one for my father for Christmas. they are running about 12 months out but I must admit it is a very nice rifle for the price. you can have it build in any one of the chambrings they offer. Just food for thought. I have several of there barrels that all shoot very well.

But would it still be like a Savage? I don't think alot of the Savages I have. They work. But one of those guns you have to make excuses for. Though maybe building you can start with after market magazines. But I still find the magazine length to long and sloppy when loading from top.

I think I will be selling a Savage to do this.

That Sako A7 was nice. Dissapointed in the safety on the Kimber. I expected better. I do like that it is beefy metal. For a war rifle, that would have been a good safety.

Not sure if I really like these three position safties like Savage. Why should I not be able to open bolt? Unlikely but could leave it in the middle.

I don't need a gun, I have 3 30-06s. Just want to splurge. If $1k doesn't get me there, I would probably just get a different caliber for something different to have.

I was also thinking of a strong action for loading to limits. Maybe a controlled feed, for something different.

For that budget Check out ER Shaw. They are build off savage action. I just received one for my father for Christmas. they are running about 12 months out ll.

Having to wait 12 months removes it from my list. I want to enjoy money atleast this hunting season. I'd rather buy something and upgrade. No way I could wait a year for a gun I wanted and paid for.

I realize custom guns are probably that way. I am just not built that way.

Why not try one of the Ruger Precision Rifles? They have been all the rage for a year now. They are pretty unique. They have a 3 lug bold that gives you a 60 degree bolt throw. Accuracy reports have been good and you can get one in 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creed has good factory ammo and is a good cartridge to get into long range shooting with. They also have it in 308, so you could share bullets with your 30-06 rifles. They are on Gunbroker for a little over a grand.

I was thinking ruger 77, with control feed. Less than $1k.

Are the safeties on the new 700s quite, or Timney replacements? I do like my 700.

Can you get a rifle for $1k that you don't have say it is good but.., ya but it is accurate.

I can hunt with my savage, just not a gun you enjoy handling. My 700 handles well, but you need to work around safety by pushing hard or slow.

Is there a 1k gun that functions well? Not just shoots well. Has a quite safety and good magazine.

I don't need a another rifle, I just want a new one. The Sako A7 seemed nice. Not sure if the next model up for $1500 is work it.

I was looking at Kimber, for the control feed Mauser action, but the safety was so loud. I like it had a big lever though. So the higher end Kimbers get better? This was 84L hunter.

We are at a period of $500 rifles that shoot really good, but are not enjoyable guns. Typically I am a cheapskate, and work around stuff or over look it. I a, still not sure I can spend $1k.

I really like the feel of the Sako with the rubber. I am little worried it would be abrasive on the cheek.

Yes I realize rambling. Like I said, I thought this would be boon or bust. Looking to expand my horizons to rifles I am not used to.

A rifle that, you don't say "I like it but, they should have done this different". Maybe I am not entering that price range yet.

Sounds like to me the answers to all your questions are personal preference that only you can answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts