What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

Interesting tails M77Fan, my long time hunting buddy, (we're like brothers) had a uncle that stayed in the swamps and woods. Day and night. His uncle saw something in there, that from that day till his end would not let the sun go down on him in the swamp/woods.
Never told anyone what he saw but it put fear in him.
Now that is creepy-scary. The stuff that changes someone's life forever is not imaginary. Maybe I would love to know what he saw, but then again, maybe I really wouldn't. I am sure I wouldn't want to encounter it!

Last edited:
Seen a few episodes of Duck Dynasty and they always seemed like good ol boys thereabouts that area.

Yep….they seem to be. My fist cousin, knows some of the folks from Swamp People. He lives close to Troy, and hunts in the Atchafalaya basin and knows Jr. and Willie pretty well.

Lotsa good and often interesting people out there! memtb

Following this post……I wonder how many Louisiana folks or folks that once lived in Louisiana we have on the forum.

Count me as one…..born and raised 20 miles north of BR. memtb

Me two. Still here. Hour NE of BR across the Mississippi from Angola State Prison
20 mi north of BR would of put you around the Clinton area.

C-130-Dude, I have to agree.

Scariest experience while hunting was coming out of the forest at dark after a day of elk hunting in Colorado. I reached the place I had parked to find a group of guys also parked there poking at each other for not getting anything. As one asked me about my custom-looking rifle, I overheard another saying to a pal "Hey Charlie, I coulda' taken you out any time I wanted. I had you in my scope for an easy shot, heh, heh." My blood ran cold! That dangerous #^% of a $*&^% probably had me in his scope too! That was heard with the constant memory of learning what a "sound shot" was during my very first year deer hunting. When I experienced that, I was learning to hunt on my own in the deciduous woods of Vermont (way before blaze orange), and had a bullet whizz past me in thick brush. Being quite young, I yelled some bad words at that expletive idiot and departed the area. There have been a few other unsettling incidents. These days I might go identify the shooter. Now I wear a lot of orange, and carry hope that fellow hunters do the right thing. I also seek uncrowded places in WY.
Quite interesting how the bullet whistles past, eh ?

Actually it is kind of weird.

They definitely get your attention when hitting trees near you.

A friend of mine and myself were in a fairy deep, small timber filled bowl that I knew had elk in it. We went in before daylight on opening morning, just knowing that we'd be in amongst the elk.

What we didn't know was that there was a "two track" on the ridge around our little "honey hole". Just prior to daylight several vehicles of hunters, parked around the rim of our little bowl.

Soon after daylight, " we heard someone yell "there they are boys" , a sentence burned into my memory. In moments, all hell broke loose. We heard lots of shots fired, bullets and elk crashing through the timber.

We hit the dirt, waited for the shooting to subside, and got out as fast as we could. Never tried hunting there again! memtb

i think we all have heard cracks or "footsteps" or weird noises in the dark walking to your stand but
early morning walking to my stand. black out still and walking with my headlamp. saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye, quickly passing me.
snapped my head up and caught the tail, the huge body silhouetted against the new moon. not...a....sound was made by the beast!
it finally lit about 30yrds in front of me. my light hit it, it was a great horned owl.
that experience got my heart racing

Last edited: