What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

About a little more than a decade ago, I was in Central pa woods muzzle loader hunting deer. No snow just leaves on the ground. I'm walking on a fire access road, they're blocked off so you can't drive on them. The road goes up and down a little. Off in the distance, I see what I thought was a Coon walking in the same direction as me.
Well next thing I know it's walking towards me, it's still atleast a hundred yards or so ahead of me. I'm like it will see me and run eventually. Before I knew it ,I was not seeing a Coon and had no clue what it was. And it was too close for comfort. So I stepped off to the side and planned on having it walk by. I had a small pistol with but still didn't want to shoot it cause I didn't know what it was.
This thing had 3 inch teeth like fangs about 3-4 ft long, a possum head 6-8 inches tall on all fours. And it walks all but right into my boot. I even tried hiding behind a tree. I moved out of it's way and it finally sees me and runs and climbs a tree. I had a flip phone at the time and tried getting a pic of it in the tree but it did no justice.
I went back to camp to tell my brother and a buddy about this creepy looking thing , and my buddy says oh that was just a fisher no big deal. I never saw one again and would probably still freak out if I did. I thought it was some monster from the dinosaur era.

I've also had plenty of grouse spook me going in and out of woods. Me and my brother walking out of forest with our bows, needing flashlights and another hunter with no light comes tripping out of no where,he finally turns his light on and asks about our day. I was ready to pull a pistol till he turned his light on. I about had a heart attack and my heart was still thumping 10 minutes later at the truck.
That was the same trail my brother was muzzle loader hunting the year before and had a feeling of being followed out. About 50 yards from his truck he sees a bear behind him. He said he picked up the pace a little ,dug his keyfob out and unlocked the truck got in and the bear stood up and put it's front paws on his tailgate and he felt it push the truck a bit. If I didn't see the paw print for myself, I wouldn't believe him.

I've also had plenty of grouse spook me going in and out of woods. Me and my brother walking out of forest with our bows, needing flashlights and another hunter with no light comes tripping out of no where,he finally turns his light on and asks about our day. I was ready to pull a pistol till he turned his light on. I about had a heart attack and my heart was still thumping 10 minutes later at the truck.
That was the same trail my brother was muzzle loader hunting the year before and had a feeling of being followed out. About 50 yards from his truck he sees a bear behind him. He said he picked up the pace a little ,dug his keyfob out and unlocked the truck got in and the bear stood up and put it's front paws on his tailgate and he felt it push the truck a bit. If I didn't see the paw print for myself, I wouldn't believe him.
Either I don't spend enough time in the woods, or I'm hunting the wrong areas ? Because I haven't had much of anything scare me when I'm out. Or possibly I'm just not paying enough attention ? The worst encounter I had was in Germany. When on guard duty we had a sowl n some piglets tree us on top of the tanks. Ended up spending an extra hour and a half on the next guys duty. Not much to do with just a empty weapon and a baseball bat.

Either I don't spend enough time in the woods, or I'm hunting the wrong areas ? Because I haven't had much of anything scare me when I'm out. Or possibly I'm just not paying enough attention ? The worst encounter I had was in Germany. When on guard duty we had a sowl n some piglets tree us on top of the tanks. Ended up spending an extra hour and a half on the next guys duty. Not much to do with just a empty weapon and a baseball bat.
Were you stationed in the Black Forest? That used to be a rather common thing when I was there.

About a little more than a decade ago, I was in Central pa woods muzzle loader hunting deer. No snow just leaves on the ground. I'm walking on a fire access road, they're blocked off so you can't drive on them. The road goes up and down a little. Off in the distance, I see what I thought was a Coon walking in the same direction as me.
Well next thing I know it's walking towards me, it's still atleast a hundred yards or so ahead of me. I'm like it will see me and run eventually. Before I knew it ,I was not seeing a Coon and had no clue what it was. And it was too close for comfort. So I stepped off to the side and planned on having it walk by. I had a small pistol with but still didn't want to shoot it cause I didn't know what it was.
This thing had 3 inch teeth like fangs about 3-4 ft long, a possum head 6-8 inches tall on all fours. And it walks all but right into my boot. I even tried hiding behind a tree. I moved out of it's way and it finally sees me and runs and climbs a tree. I had a flip phone at the time and tried getting a pic of it in the tree but it did no justice.
I went back to camp to tell my brother and a buddy about this creepy looking thing , and my buddy says oh that was just a fisher no big deal. I never saw one again and would probably still freak out if I did. I thought it was some monster from the dinosaur era.
Was it this guy?😂

Attachments

• 163F4C17-8BD3-41C8-87B7-5EE1A8BB49D2.png
    163F4C17-8BD3-41C8-87B7-5EE1A8BB49D2.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 127
Probably one of the MC130 stationed at Kirtland. Normal for them to fly 250agl/250kts at night in the mountains. The night optics are incredible. Lots of fun! Try it! You just happened to be under the flight path. It can be unnerving if you don't hear it until the last moment.
Had to clean my britches out! Thanks for the little bit of additional information. 250agl seems way too high for this encounter! :)

I was squirrel hunting near Jeremia KY, climbing a coal strip mine rubble pile when I accidentally placed my hand right next to a coiled large copperhead snake on a flat rock. It was a very cool morning and the sun was just up, warming the snake.

I did a slo-mo removal with my hand, moved over some, and nearly vaporized the snake with my 12 GA.

Spookiest for me was when deer hunting at the camp, we found big cat tracks on a trail after a doe and fawn.
We split up and where I set up I sat and look around. 3 feet from my seat was cat tracks leading to a big pine tree and ended. I look up into the tree and happily I didn't see anything. I moved to another spot until the end of the day.

It was the topic of conversation over supper.

Recent Posts