What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

I hunt elk and hunt with Nosler Accubond and like Varmint Hunter I have found them to the ticket for me and my gun.
A while back I recommended the Accubond to someone and he could not get it to shoot well in his rifle,mine shoots lights out accurate but his would not,so I would suggest you try a few different bullets mentioned here and see which shoots well in your rifle.I wish you success.

i just got done with a 280 Rem custom job that a friend brought to me. He got enough of trendy bullets and decided to start using Nosler's for big game out to 500.
"it won't shoot AB's" he said.

after a few hours he had a gun that was averaging close to 1" at 300yds. close being less than 1".

With 160 BT's and 160 AB's, good ole H4831 and BR2. The bullets will perform in every way needed, inside of reasonable max range.
2850 MV plus or minus a few

i just got done with a 280 Rem custom job that a friend brought to me. He got enough of trendy bullets and decided to start using Nosler's for big game out to 500.
"it won't shoot AB's" he said.

after a few hours he had a gun that was averaging close to 1" at 300yds. close being less than 1".

With 160 BT's and 160 AB's, good ole H4831 and BR2. The bullets will perform in every way needed, inside of reasonable max range.
2850 MV plus or minus a few
So well pointed out reality of todays world. Just left the trap range yesterday and a LGS sold a brand new shooter/first time shotgun owner an absolute junk new gun. In talking to the new owner it was hurtfully obvious they had been filled with absolute ignorance from other gun owners and the internet. After proving and them also experiencing about the 5th thing they said a shotgun or shotgun size could not do or would do. They asked if I would go with them to take the *** back and get a shotgun they could use. Going to that LGS this week.

Another voter for Barnes, Accubonds (standard and ABLR), Swift A-Frame, and Nosler partitions. I'll give an honorable mention to the Sierra GK HPBT…I've killed many animals with that bullet in a couple different calibers despite it's lowly cup and core construction and brick like BC.
I passed on the shot, , rather than risk wounding an elk and being forced to track/recover an elk after dark! Yep….I'm a wuss! 😉
Some might call that ethical!
Maybe it's just me, but I get tired of when someone shares their positive experience only to have someone else jump them and try to run their experience into the ground.

It's no different than Ford vs Chevy.
Right, that's why I drive a Dodge! :p

I prefer the Swift Scirocco out to distances until it falls below 1800 fps impact velocity. That is generally around 800 yards, and up to about 1000 with some rounds at the elevations I hunt. That bullet has been very consistent for me across the board from .224 center fire to 338 and everything in between. Seat it .050 off the lands and run with it.

I'm learning about the hybrids, just started this year.
With a 2995MV I like them so far, shots have been from about 90 to 385.
Deer only for Me.

Hybrid Target and LRHT

Last edited: