Wet tumbling brass

Stainless Steel Media

Dish Soap and Lemishine

I have a couple of shakers for sale! Never use a dry shaker again.

With my homemade tumbler I run 50lbs of stainless pins (found 100lbs at sale at the local vo-tech school when they were clearing out inventory $20 - big score). The Odjob container I used for the mixing tub https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-OdJob-Concrete-Material-Mixer/dp/B078TLGQCZ has 7 gal capacity. I load it up with 3 gallons of water with 6 Tbls of Dawn and 1 Tsp of Lemi-shine. Then load in the brass to be cleaned.

For you guys wet tumbling your brass what tumbler are you using? Do you like it or wish you had another one? Tumblers to stay away from?

Corey
Thumlers Tumbler, Stainless Pins and a Dash of Laundry Detergent, I use Laundry Detergent because it does not tend to Foam up like Dish Soap does, I am a Brass Horder... I take old OLD, Grimy Brass that I find laying around, and make it new again with the above mentioned.

Here are a some pictures cost was a little less than $100.
Anyone who is interested on how this homemade tumble came to be, here is a link

Attachments

• Finished Tumbler 1.jpg
    Finished Tumbler 1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Finished Tumbler 2.jpg
    Finished Tumbler 2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Finish Tumbler.jpg
    Finish Tumbler.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 123
Not sure if it's been mentioned, I'd recommend you buy enough pins so that you can have the tumbler loaded up and running while your dealing with (rinsing/separating the cases and pins) the previous load. You will save a considerable amount of time if your tumbling large numbers at a time.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, I'd recommend you buy enough pins so that you can have the tumbler loaded up and running while your dealing with (rinsing/separating the cases and pins) the previous load.
The timer on my Frankford tumbler goes up to three hours. You can get the second batch in-process while fooling with the cleaned brass. Takes just a few minutes to recover the pins as I do it. I never have so many brass that I have to run loads of 'em back-to-back. I also never mix brass than can wedge itself into another case, like .223Rem with .45ACP. That's just asking for a bullschumer problem.

My tumbler only does 100 x 308 size cases at a time and I wait to get a few hundred and make an evening of it. Which means I have to seperate the pins out each time before starting again. It would be much faster if I had more pins to reduce down time. Oh and I don't mix cases either only one caliber at a time.

I didn't read through the whole thread but I have the Lyman Cyclone. Couple good reasons I got it was it came with the sorting baskets and the way it's designed I can build my own "small" tumbling drum for small batches if I wish too.

However one question I had for the group is has anyone noticed that your cases are more difficult to resize after using the wet tumbling method? I've never stuck a case before I switched and in the few years I've used this method I've stuck 2.
I wash the dirty bass in warm & soapy water to loosen any dirt or grit that can scratch the inside of my resizing die, dry them in my oven for two hours at 225 and lastly resize them. After that, they are most usually set aside to be trimmed and chamfered at a later date. Having the brass already resized means I'll always have some inventory at which I can get at quickly in the very rare case that a tsunami of ambition comes ashore and forces my assets into productive activity.

F9BFCD00-68A3-4B85-A7A5-1E517159CA7E.jpeg
When you all wet tumble do you find the brass tarnishes quickly since the brass is stripped clean?
After wet tumbling with pins I dry my brass and then it goes in a vibratory Tumblr with walnut hull and a shot of white diamond metal polish much shinier preserves the surface etc.

Last edited:
When you all wet tumble do you find the brass tarnishes quickly since the brass is stripped clean?
This brass was tumbled over a month ago. The air where I live is very dry, so that may be a reason it hasn't tarnished in all that time. Was resized before it went into the tumbler, so it's ready whenever I am to sit down and finish the prep work...

Attachments

• 30-day brasss.JPG
    30-day brasss.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.