Well since I can't go......

41mag

Well since I can\'t go......

Since I amd forced to sit here at the house and not do anything, including heading to the woods chasing the pigs. I might as well share a few pics of some that we have already gotten. Over the past three years my friend Tim and I have really concentrated more on hunting hogs than just about anything else. So here are a few we have rustled up from the underbrush, and reached out and touched across the pastures. Almost all of them top the 200# mark easily, and a few push or break the 400# mark. See if you can tell which.

First just a quick morning hunt, took my bud Tim and me about 45 minutes to get there and shoot, then about three hours of cleaning.

509709753RhJSVx_fs.jpg

We got this bruiser while filling up one of the deer feeders. Took us about an hour to drag him up out of about a 20' creekbed and load him on the trailer.
241270567vqXuWc_fs.jpg

This one had some REAL ivory on him. Made me glad he was out there a hundered yards or so when I popped him. These are the ones that will hurt ya up close and personal.
217116508TlpJEo_fs.jpg

Can ya say "MEAT HAUL" Not bad for a 300yd shot with a 16.5" barrel rested on top of a pair of bino's huh. LOL
58268608pccZpV_ph.jpg

This ol bear tried his best to get me good. If I would have panicked, it would have been bad news for me. He was hit, mad, and knew just how to use those choppers.
58268622ClRNWP_ph.jpg

THis is one of our friends very first hogs. Not a bad way to start out. Took it with my little .308 you see in most of the pictures here.
512946607nCrmdz_fs.jpg

And here are a couple that me and my little buddie picked up here and there,
P1210031A.jpg

This one pretty much stretched the limits of not only the little Ruger set up, but my shooting as well. It was a shot across our back pasture, of about 450yds, resting on the front rack of the 4 wheeler, with about a 20mph wind coming cross range on me. All I can say is, on these you shoot'em or at them when ya see them.
340731448PVBfnR_fs.jpg

Re: Well since I can\'t go......

Well, that certainly is a pile of pork.

I got a little confused on the second picture of the three mean looking guys as to who was who but I finally noticed that one of you was hanging by a strap.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

you told me you had some hogs down there but ****!!!! That looks like a lot of fun, cant wait to see what you can do when you get your new gun. Me and BJ are going on a hog hunt in a week or two so hopefully we can see what the 270 AM will do.

take it easy
steve

Shoot Lerch,

These are just a very few of the better ones or ones that we felt were a little more outstanding that the typical haul it home to the freezer ones. Course those are generally about the same size if we can swing it. It's always easier to clean one big one that a couple of medium ones. LOL

Yea, your right on about the new rifle, we are definatley looking forward to that. I can visualize possibly several at a time hitting the ground, man thats going to be a hoot.

Good luck on your hunt, be sure to post up some good pics afterwords. Just a hint, if you can use it, corn and that stinking stuff Beast Feast / Hog Wild will draw them out for ya and hold them still for a while.

Now that is alot of bacon!!! I particularly like the pic on the 4 wheelers. Now that was a good day. I've alway wanted to get one of those piglets and stick him in the oven!!! I bet that would be some fine cuisine!!!

Bill,

That was a pretty decent week for us and a bad week for the hogs. That pic of them on the top actually doesn't show that there is another one on the front of the trailer. We got 9 total that morning, the Saturday before Thanksgivning. The big one with our friend, plus half a dozen more the next weekend. Would have been more on the first trip, but I ran out of bullets. LOL The two bigger ones on the trailer were in the pack I busted. There were close to 40 or so from about a pound or so on up. I slipped up over the to of a ridge of the gravel pit and busted the first one, a boar, at about 20'. THe rest of the pack busted out of there, past me, down and out across the cotton field.

Problem for them was I had the high ground, and could see them running through the tall grass. Just pick one and shoot. Tim was around the other side of the pit hearing all the shots thinking, ****, he's having all tha fun. LOL WEll after my rifle was empty, I headed down the hill to drag them up to load. The grass was about waist to shoulder high with small openings here and there. So as I get the two on the 4 wheeler together, I hear the grass rustling and know that some more are coming right to me. All I had was my Javilina 10mm, so I drew and as they hit the opening, I cut loose once more. THe blond one I hit three solid times and one foot shot, and the black one was hit once out of the 8 shots I made at them going by. Then after they had disappeared into the grass, I hear TIm bust loose a couple of times. I asked if it was a blond and black one, he replied yea, thanks for saving me one. LOL After that I noticed the grass shaking there where they had first appeared. I walked over to find the little one with a perfect hit right behind the ear.

Your right it did make some supreme cuisine. Just dress'em out, split'em down the middle, and chunk'em on the pit. Takes about 20 minutes per side, then pan'em stretch the foil over'em, and bake at 225 for about an hour, or till you can't stand it anymore. We put that one in a 2 gal. ziplock with marinade overnight, but they come out just as good with a slow basting. You got to do one or the other as they dry out do to being so lean.

Anyway good luck on your hunt, the small ones are harder to hit at long range, so pick the biggest first. Might as well make those 4 bullets count. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.