Well, it aint long range, but fun!

Lyons7STW

My little brother called and said the rancher next door to him had $7,000 worth of hay destroyed by hogs. We got two other buddies with dogs and headed to the bottoms last night.
We bayed the first in the creek, right off the bat. About a 225 lb sow. We bailed in and drug her outo. Then threw her down and calf tied her, and lashed her to a tree. Set a waypoint on the gps and set out again. (much harder than it sounds)
, ever try and wrestle a wild hog in a creek while they try and cut you with tusks?

Then the dogs bay a 200lb. Boar up against a dry cut bank. He fights like the devil. Three dogs got cut. One got gored in the leg and one in the flank. (neither life threatening). When we go to throw and tie him, my buddy nearly got his thumb bit off.

Now just about every body is bleeding and tired. We gather all but one dog and head for the truck. Almost there and the one dog starts yelping bayed a half mile away. We cut loose and go to her. When we get there the dogs have two 150 lb hogs bayed. We cut the pit loose and he charges in grabbing the nearest by the face. The other hog makes a break for it and nearly runs us over. We are outta rope so we grab a back leg and I stick it tween the ribs with my skinnin knife a couple times. Now comes the hard part. Getting em out!

Attachments

• 10912C36-orig.jpg
    10912C36-orig.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 17EBA0FE-orig.jpg
    17EBA0FE-orig.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 151
The dogs were Catahoula and black mouth cur, crosses. Except for the pit bull, catch dog that came from the pound. The catch dogs have to be expendable to some extent (but its nice to know that pit has the head when you wade in to grab the hog by the back legs). Kevlar cut vests were used, and gps tracking collars.

Yes they can do A LOT of damage. And there is no way to put the wild and wooly adrenalin rush into a words. Hogs sqealing and charging, dogs baying and diving in. cowboys scrambling, and running through the under brush, then wrestling a dangerous wild hog. Way cool.

Lots of people use dogs to bay till they get there and shoot em. The epitomy of hog hunting with dogs is to catch and calf tie em. Stickin em with a knife is pretty fun too. Get hands on and feel the rush. It's not for everyone, for sure. As we say in Texas... Get Western!!

Attachments

• F9BF5AA9-orig.jpg
    F9BF5AA9-orig.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 145
  • C9A27D32-orig.jpg
    C9A27D32-orig.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 146
Looks like a crazy rush. Yall ever have to worry about any type of infections from getting bit by them dirty old hogs? How about the dogs? Just patch em up and keep going? IIRC I read a story not too long ago of a guy hog hunting and one of his pitbulls had his stomach completely opened up guts hanging out from the hog swinging his tusks all about and the hunter just poured some whiskey all over the wound and pushed the dog`s guts back in and sewed it up. Dog was back out in the field hunting 2 weeks later. Tough SOBs.

Any good hog dog man will carry super glue, sutures, and or a staple gun. Generally if their vitals ( lungs/heart diaphragm) remain intact they recover surprisingly well. We use catahoulas and cur dogs with a pit cross thrown in. Tough breeds with lots of heart.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.