Weird Ring

Nunu

Anyone who have the same experience? My friend asked me about this, I can't feel if there's a grove in the ring or may be it's to small to be felt. Your information will be greatly appreciated.
D3A9D1A7-B546-4A31-84A0-7A37076DAE3E.jpeg

I'd be sticking a pick inside to see if it is sseparating.....ahad a box of 65284 lapua separate about that height...
only 3 and 4 firings...and only at 2900fps...0414201019.jpg....last box of lapua lasted 9 firings......2975fps.....

First off, did it come out of the die this way - or after firing? Most likely a chamber issue....
It just came out from the sonic cleaner so it's not resized yet. However, he can't recall if it's been there before he shoot it the last time. We checked the other cases shot from the same and 2 other rifles and they too have similar lines but it's not as prominent and they are not a complete ring like the sample case. The lines are also on different spots, some are higher and the others are lower. We will shoot new brass to rule-out.

Caliber, brass manufacturer, times reloaded, case length before/after firing? No I have never seen this on any caliber.
I would have a competent gunsmith look at the brass and rifle.

We checked the other cases shot from the same and 2 other rifles

Are you using reloaded full length sized brass/loads in different rifles/chambers? Thats what I've taken from the above paragraph.
If so this could be a head space issue, as you need to know how far you are moving the shoulder back when resizing cases, compared to particular chamber.
There also appears to be a donut forming on the case neck resulting from overworking the brass.

Caliber, brass manufacturer, times reloaded, case length before/after firing? No I have never seen this on any caliber.
I would have a competent gunsmith look at the brass and rifle.
It's a 308 win Lapua brass fired 3 or 4 times. The head grew up 1.5 to 2 thousandth from its brand new length and was resized around 2 thousandth of an inch every time. Below are some of the cases having partial rings on them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Are you using reloaded full length sized brass/loads in different rifles/chambers? Thats what I've taken from the above paragraph.
If so this could be a head space issue, as you need to know how far you are moving the shoulder back when resizing cases, compared to particular chamber.
There also appears to be a donut forming on the case neck resulting from overworking the brass.
Each rifle have their own dedicated FL semi-custom-Forster-die. There's no donut forming on the neck case, they are discoloration and light reflection. I verified it.

It's a 308 win Lapua brass fired 3 or 4 times. The head grew up 1.5 to 2 thousandth from its brand new length and was resized around 2 thousandth of an inch every time. Below are some of the cases having partial rings on them.View attachment 261200View attachment 261200
That brass is on verge of separating, a wonder it hasn't already. Just look at case on left, by enlarging, bet you can stick a pin thru it.

Dump it, it's dangerous!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.