Weird find while skinning

TheYoungGun

This happened a year or two ago and sadly I lost the picture. But a friend of mine took a nice sized yote with a beautiful pelt and wanted to tan it and save it. Well upon skinning it for him I for that it had a broken snare around its neck. It was very very tight and tucked under the fur so deep you would of never known it was there. Makes me curious on what y'all have found when skinning some yotes? This should get interesting!

Didn't find anything in eBay yote skin , but made nice saw horse decoy out of it.
F0A9DED4-5C64-4392-A05B-4E2C7BF36D37.jpeg

When it was the fad to use micro locks and smaller cable snares I found several coyote wearing broken snares . A couple of then had cut through the hide and were imbedded in the animals . I skinned a couple that had 36 grain 22 caliber bullets in them . Several that had #4 shot in them with two that had shot in their leg joints that made them not be able to bend them .

This happened a year or two ago and sadly I lost the picture. But a friend of mine took a nice sized yote with a beautiful pelt and wanted to tan it and save it. Well upon skinning it for him I for that it had a broken snare around its neck. It was very very tight and tucked under the fur so deep you would of never known it was there. Makes me curious on what y'all have found when skinning some yotes? This should get interesting!
Number 7/1/2 birdshot, field tip arrows, snares as you've described, pellets from pellet guns, many small caliber 22 rounds, I often wonder why some just shoot at anything that moves with no regard whether or not they can recover the animal.

When it was the fad to use micro locks and smaller cable snares I found several coyote wearing broken snares . A couple of then had cut through the hide and were imbedded in the animals . I skinned a couple that had 36 grain 22 caliber bullets in them . Several that had #4 shot in them with two that had shot in their leg joints that made them not be able to bend them .
Since I was in my teens, I've only ever used a Thompson snare with tree locks, my favorite coyote rig to this day is a 1XX120 ,never lost one , a rarity, 99% of mine were classic neck holds , the bottom loop 12 inches off the ground, and well loaded and greased with mineral oil. A light rusting is all that was ever required.

Back in the 90's here it was a fad to use micro locks they were fashioned after the Thompson locks and the cable was 1/16th and 5/64th 7x19 air craft cable . People were running short snares in fences not long enough to hang them up so even when they were good neck catches the coyote would back up and then chew through the cable . After we had to stop using Patterson knots I went to cam locks with a break-away S-hook on 3/32 air craft cable no shorter then 8 feet in length to tangle them up and get their feet off the ground fast . We do have some brushy and timbered areas here but for the most part it's pretty open country with sage brush and some buck brush so not very good for entangling and chocking them down before they begin to chew the cable . It's kind of like putting a shock absorber in the cable . I'm not sure who started the micro lock and thin light weight cable fad but they sure weren't familiar with the big western coyote and the use of snares . Early in my career I used the Thomson snares but started to make my own due to the cost of running several dozen snares 12 months out of the year and figuring out what worked best for my area .

Back in the 90's here it was a fad to use micro locks they were fashioned after the Thompson locks and the cable was 1/16th and 5/64th 7x19 air craft cable . People were running short snares in fences not long enough to hang them up so even when they were good neck catches the coyote would back up and then chew through the cable . After we had to stop using Patterson knots I went to cam locks with a break-away S-hook on 3/32 air craft cable no shorter then 8 feet in length to tangle them up and get their feet off the ground fast . We do have some brushy and timbered areas here but for the most part it's pretty open country with sage brush and some buck brush so not very good for entangling and chocking them down before they begin to chew the cable . It's kind of like putting a shock absorber in the cable . I'm not sure who started the micro lock and thin light weight cable fad but they sure weren't familiar with the big western coyote and the use of snares . Early in my career I used the Thomson snares but started to make my own due to the cost of running several dozen snares 12 months out of the year and figuring out what worked best for my area .
Where I snare they get tangled quick, in fence lines I run a much shorter set up 40 inch, here in heavy timber they tangle up quick and lights out.

Attachments

• coy2.jpg
    coy2.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 291
Another weird find short time ago. Shot a coyote down and DRT, tried to find an entrance hole to make sure my rifle is shooting where it should be. Had to skin him to find the hole where the 17 hornet went in. The shot was perfect right in the neck as planned. The stick shows the hole going in no exit. Plenty of disruption though.

Attachments

• ns1.jpg
    ns1.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 292
I often wonder why some just shoot at anything that moves with no regard whether or not they can recover the animal.
Hogs, coyotes, coons, possums, rats. All over populated nuisance animals/nest raiders. When presented a shot opportunity, take it no matter what weapon you have. (In my area)

Last edited: