Weighing bullets

bigsampson

Guys,
I have been reloading for a pretty good while. Mainly for handguns and typical hunting. Minute of deer type accuracy.

Anyway. I have picked up a 338 LM, two pretty solid 308s, two capable 223s and have become much more serious about reloading and trying to get the best out of my sticks.
Prepping cases as best I can. Trimming to length, primer pocket consistancy, cleaning primer flash burr inside, etc. Measuring powder to the nearest .1 grain.
Never occured to me to weigh bullets. But, thanks to the input on this site I am doing that as well.
I use allot of Sierra Match Kings and Barns type bullets. Usually, out of a box of 308s, most of the pills are within .2 grains with a few outside of that.

Recently I got a box of Hornady 250 Match BTHPs. Wow is about all I can say. It was like two different bullet batches in one box. One batch seemed to be 250 grains plus .5 or so and the other was 251.3 plus or minus .2 The extreems were over a grain and a half, even two grains in a few cases.

With the Sierra MKs I could take three boxes and get two 50 round batches with a bullet that was within .1 grain. Who knows how many boxes of these Hornady's it would take to get 50 within .2 grains.
It isn't just that it was 338, I have loaded around 200 rounds in 338 using Sierra Game Kings in 250 and MKs in 300, Barnes in 250 and 265 and they all are pretty much tight, within about .2 grains either side of an average as a group.

That being said, is this the same bullet that is in the Hornady Match ammo they sell?
If so, how can they load match ammo if the bullets differ in as much as 1.5 to 2 grains?

Is this normal or did I get a bad box?
Also, am I being too anal in trying to get with .1 or .2 grains?
Thanks
Hank

Welcome to the world of quality control.

You have found out why some companies have a reputation for precision bullets and some don't.

Rather than think in terms of tenths of a grain, think in terms of percentages. A tenth of a grain for a 223 bullet may be more meaningful than for a 338 bullet. If it was me I would use 0.1% of total weight as a starting point for screening into batches.

What most people believe to be more meaningful at long range is the uniformity of length of the bearing surface. Nonetheless as you found out, weight sorting gets rid of goofy bullets and is educational.

Funny you should bring up qualiy control.
Since retiring from the military my new career;
director of QA/QC for a company.
Go figure.
Maybe Hornady needs some consulting work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.