Weatherflow weather meter

bstomper

Has anyone had any experience with this meter and either StrelokPro or the hornady 4DOF app. There are absolutely no instructions on the app, the meter site or the net how use it with either of these apps. I can pair it with both apps and play around with it but I do know if I'm using it right. Everything seems to working but the wind direction indication just doesn't seem right.

I use it with the BallisticsARC app, and within the setting of the app there is a section to calibrate the weather flow meter (essentially just rotating the meter to calibrate the compass within it). I would think that if it pairs with those apps there would be a way to calibrate the meter within them as well.

According to the weatherflow website the model I have (weather meter precision shooting) doesn't have its own compass, it uses the compass on my phone. I just downloaded the ballistics arc app to try it out. Where I am confused on all three ballistics app is once I have the weather meter paired with the apps I have no way to tell which way the wind is coming from in relation to my shooting direction. How is that determined

On the BallisticsARC app you'll take a heading to target direction, and then my weather flow meter (it's the tan one- I thought it was the precision shooting) it knows the direction it's pointing when you take the wind reading. From there it will calculate the effect of the wind to that target direction. If you are in the settings of that app you should see a place to calibrate and update the firmware on the weather flow meter.

I've been to the settings but the app won't let me calibrate the meter. It's a brand new meter and I am assuming it won't calibrate because it doesn't have the compass the older version does. According to the website the tan precision shooting meter isn't manufactured with the compass anymore and states that it uses the smart phone compass. That's all good and I understand that, but I can't find any literature on how to actually use the meter for any of the apps (StrelokPro, 4DOF, BA) to account for the wind direction. Once it's paired with the apps, the option to manually input the wind direction is not available like it is with out the meter not paired. It pairs great and gives me all the information I need but i just can't figure out the wind direction issue. I must be missing something or maybe this is a new thing with the manufacturing with out it having the compass and the apps aren't updated to account for it. I don't know

I may have figured some of this out just playing with the meter and StrelokPro and the 4DOF apps. With StrelokPro, I think I have to calibrate the meter to the app with the meter and my phone facing in the direction the wind is blowing (the wind at my back blowing into the meter). Once that is done if I point my phone in the direction of the target while keeping the meter facing the wind, I get a windage reading that makes sense. If I calibrate with the meter and my phone facing into the wind I get the complete opposite (left instead of right)windage reading that I should.
With the 4DOF app it's just the opposite. I need to pair the meter when the meter and the phone facing into the wind.
Either way, it seems that when I initially calibrate the meter with the app for the wind direction, the app automatically stores that information until it is calibrated for a different wind direction.
Of course this was all figured out in my driveway and still needs to be confirmed with some shooting results.

Last edited:
I may have figured some of this out just playing with the meter and StrelokPro and the 4DOF apps. With StrelokPro, I think I have to calibrate the meter to the app with the meter and my phone facing in the direction the wind is blowing (the wind at my back blowing into the meter). Once that is done if I point my phone in the direction of the target while keeping the meter facing the wind, I get a windage reading that makes sense. If I calibrate with the meter and my phone facing into the wind I get the complete opposite (left instead of right)windage reading that I should.
With the 4DOF app it's just the opposite. I need to pair the meter when the meter and the phone facing into the wind.
Either way, it seems that when I initially calibrate the meter with the app for the wind direction, the app automatically stores that information until it is calibrated for a different wind direction.
Of course this was all figured out in my driveway and still needs to be confirmed with some shooting results.
Wow! Glad you seem to have figured it out. The meter I have has the compass built I, seems to take all that issue out after calibration (unless you hold it backwards- learned that the hard way).

Just got back from shooting. Only had time to try it out with StrelokPro due to the cold killing the battery in the phone but it did work. It's quite disappointing that there are no instructions for this anywhere in the apps or on the weatherflow website.

That's a huge bummer. The simplicity of running one unit is a major bonus of the Kestrel with AB.
Best of luck with your current meter

I use BallisticsARC too. I have an early WeatherFlow and can use the compass in the meter or on my phone. I use the compass on the phone (not the compass app).

I hold the wind meter perpendicular to the wind and twist until I get the highest speed. You can play with it to watch for high/low value (I prefer) or run a sample over a few seconds/minutes if you like. Once you have identified the direction of the wind, point your phone (face up) in that same direction and press the "button"

D0A55770-7DA9-4897-8CD9-6D8990E63A44.jpeg

Then point your phone at the target and press the "button". This will guve the pertenant different between wind direction amd shot direction to the computer to properly calculate the wind value.
70B9000B-1E22-422E-ACF0-EC105AD76A71.jpeg

Super easy and still usable if the wind meter dies or gets lost.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.