Weatherby Vanguard action build

gamedog

Any opinions on doing a custom build on a Vanguard Long Action?

If put in the hands of a good smith, what's the chance of getting a shooter?

in the hands of a good smith you will have a hell of a shooter.

The Vanguard/Howa action is highly under rated and alot of guiys won't work on them becuse that have metric threads. In my oppinion they are a better action than the Rem700
The action itself is much stiffer , has a bit flat bedding area , perfect recoil lug shape , one piece forged bolt that come with a M-16 style extractor which next to a CRF is the best thing going , the firingpin system in the ones I have seen was well made and diden't bind up the firing pin.
Their are a couple good after market triggers and stock for them.

If your smtih can cut metric threads then their is no reason that it shoulden't shoot as good or better than the Rem 700 builds

Contact jeff at CDI and see if he makes a bottom metal for your action yet , again the Vanguard is the same as the Howa
CDI Precision Gunworks - Home

vanguard action

Just talked with my smith last night (SSG) about building with them. I picked up a 25-06 and 270wsm for a song. His response was the more he works with them the more he likes them. In between myself and a friend we have six of the custom vanguards. They all seem to shoot with some load development and a new trigger. I have noticed the prices around here with the vanguard's are ever increasing. The laminate stainless we picked up for 650 are now 800. Just my opinion, that and a quarter won't even get you a phone call.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.