Weatherby vanguard 24 inch barrel 300wby. Mag. What's the point?

smithjasona1978

Why on earth does Weatherby only offer the vanguard in a 24 inch barrel!!?? I really really want to get one in 300 wby. But I just don't see the point. I can get a nice Browning in 300 win mag with a 26 inch barrel and have the same performance. If I disregard price is there any benefit of going with the wby longer coal and shorter barrel over the win mag with a shorter coal but longer barrel? I like the Weatherby cartridges. Round shoulders and all. Just to be different mostly. And please no one dare me to buy a mark V.

Why on earth does Weatherby only offer the vanguard in a 24 inch barrel!!?? I really really want to get one in 300 wby. But I just don't see the point. I can get a nice Browning in 300 win mag with a 26 inch barrel and have the same performance. If I disregard price is there any benefit of going with the wby longer coal and shorter barrel over the win mag with a shorter coal but longer barrel? I like the Weatherby cartridges. Round shoulders and all. Just to be different mostly. And please no one dare me to buy a mark V.

It boils down to a personal choice you have to make and must face the consequences of that decision. You some what answered your own dilemma, since you like the WBTY cartridge and MKV is NOT in your consideration.

Does ~50 FPS loss in velocity from 24" vs 26" a show stopper for your intended purpose?

For me, NO and I am NOT a big fan of WBTY cartridge (but that just my personal choice) but I have an improved version of the cartridge.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

If cost is a factor, the .300 WM (I have 3 of them) is hard to beat in cost (as well as brass choices) and performance.

Good luck!

Ed

My Vanguard 300 Weatherby will send a 208 ELD and a 215 Berger to 3000 fps just coasting. I shoved them faster but I see no reason to, it's easy on brass and the throat. I'm on my tenth firing of my Norma brass and have no signs of stress yet...
Like Ed said, it's personal choice. I know of a 26" Mark V 300 Weatherby that reached pressure signs with 7828 before he could match or beat my Vanguards Velocity.

Edited to add... I have a Witt Machine clamp on brake on the barrel, because the barrels diameter is right on the edge in my opinion of being able to thread it. Some test have shown a brake to increase velocity some, and this brake has a working length of over two inches... So I'm not sure if the velocity is hurt that much with this set up... Could be wrong because I never Shot the rifle without the brake thru my Chrony. I shot it about eight times unbraked and I was over it... Lol

The Vanguard is the "bargain" line. All barrels are 24" or shorter.

A manufacturer makes decisions based on how they perceive the market. Weatherby perceives their market best served by their offerings. I live in Paso and visit often enough to understand some things about that decision.

I like both the Vanguard action and the Mark V action. I have many.

You can use the Vanguard action as the basis for a build.
You can shrug off the 50fps loss.

The 300WM will be 100fps slower than 300Wby all things being equal. Not much.

For both chamberings Wby and WM, two powders will give %100 burn in a 24": Reloader-26 and Reloader-33. Which depends on bullet weight, COAL.

Hey 3006 that's good performance in a 24" barrel. I can live with that. I had figured to only get 2900 with 215s at most. What's your load?
I am at 78 grains of IMR 7828 with the 208 Eld and 215 Berger in Norma brass. I would have to look at my notes for the COAL but I do know I'm loading single shot...

These are above published book max, so work up carefully of course...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.