Weatherby recoil pad repair

Knight

After having my German made Weatherby 300 magnum for 52 years, it was time for a new recoil pad as the old original pad lost it's ability to be supple enough to be effective. So in looking for the best of the best in gunsmithing in order to fill my expectations, I called Weatherby in Sheridan Wyoming.

The person who answered said, Weatherby does not do any warranty or gunsmithing however they highly recommend a company who does their warranty work in Michigan ( Which I Won't Mention ) and suggested I send it to them for a recoil pad install. I contacted this company and spoke to the manager of the gunsmithing dept and explained my issue. He said send us your rifle and we'll inform you when it will be shipped back, but at this time we are eight week away from that day. I agreed because i figured it would only sit in my safe anyway.

I stripped the rifle of it's barrel / receiver even the swivel studs and carefully bubble wrapped the entire stock and sent it off.
March 12 2021 they received it and was now waiting for the right recoil pad from the a manufacture. I have called them several times in the weeks that followed to check on it's progress and finally late in April they sent it back but this was just the beginning of what I considered a bad horror movie. Opening the undamaged box the first thing I looked at was the recoil pad and it looked excellent as expected on a Weatherby. as I pulled the stock out I noticed the end cap on this Mark V deluxe was partialy separated and loose . I was totally disgusted to say the least. Calling the company to inquire how did this happen? They asked me if the box was damaged when delivered. I said no. then he told me to send it back and they would email a label and take care of it.

By this time I was so frustrated and ****ed, I called the Weatherby back in Wyoming and explained the Issues I was having with their recommendation of this company. Weatherby customer service indicated this company that did their warranty work was quality in all respects and blamed it possibly in shipping. I didn't push this issue any further and sent it off again.

In mid May I received their return, expecting all was good but by the condition of the box I was assured it wasn't as the enclosed pictures show. The repair on the end cap was reattached but not with the expertise of any gunsmith I have ever done business with in the past. The spacers between the stock and pad were knocked out of place and had to be realigned. At first I was hesitant in returning it a third time for fear it would come back in two pieces. At this point I took a deep breath and called them back and explained what happened. They once again, sent a mailing label and If i could have purchased a Kevlar box I would have. I did however find a super strong box wrapped the stock in Five layers bubble wrap said a prayer and sent it off.

In June I received it back in the same box I sent it in, as I instructed before mailing and to my surprise all was good, except for the shoddy job on the end cap. I called Weatherby for the last time and explained, if you would give me your email I will send you photos, before and after the work these people did, that you recommended and they declined to do so. You know there's an old saying, when you laugh the whole world laughs with you but when you cry, you cry alone. Iv'e lost a lot of respect for Weatherby Arms, I thought they were better then that. The picture is the second time I received it and the end cap is their repair work.
IMG_20210604_162315957.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_222314103_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210604_222314103_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20210604_222328932_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210604_222328932_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 264
I know it's to late now but, if I had to have anything done to a wood stock I would get in touch with and then send it to Joel Russo. He is on here and is a wood stock whisperer.
Tom

I know it's to late now but, if I had to have anything done to a wood stock I would get in touch with and then send it to Joel Russo. He is on here and is a wood stock whisperer.
Tom
Does anyone have Joel Russo's contact information?

Weatherby has turned into a garbage company. Their alignment with the (Anti Gun Owned) Meateater crew has not helped. I called them about ordering a rifle from their "Custom shop" and they said they couldnt do a 270wby in a carbon barrel. How pathetic is that? I also called about buying a replacement stock for my Accumark. Of course they couldnt sell me one of those either because I wanted the new model. Both times customer service was rude and acted like I was asking for a miracle. I have owned many weatherbys but Im selling them off and wont be buying anymore.

That is sad to hear. I called Weatherby in WY to get a Trigger Tech trigger installed. They explained the process and sent me an RMA number. I sent the rifle in with a quoted 6 to 8 week lead time. I called once to make sure the rifle arrived in good shape. They quickly pulled up my info and said it was received and in the que. I also had a bunch of questions on stock up-grades and triggers for other rifles and lead times on RPM brass and a few other things related to the newer rifles. The CR answered all my questions and shot the breeze a bit about the new facility and the move and such. Great experience. Two and a half weeks later I got an e-mail with tracking, my work was done. I got the rifle back in excellent condition with action screws torqued to spec. I could not have been happier. I have heard horror stories about Weatherby rifles and their customer service, but I have never had a bad experience with either. It sounds like I have been very lucky.

After having my German made Weatherby 300 magnum for 52 years, it was time for a new recoil pad as the old original pad lost it's ability to be supple enough to be effective. So in looking for the best of the best in gunsmithing in order to fill my expectations, I called Weatherby in Sheridan Wyoming.

The person who answered said, Weatherby does not do any warranty or gunsmithing however they highly recommend a company who does their warranty work in Michigan ( Which I Won't Mention ) and suggested I send it to them for a recoil pad install. I contacted this company and spoke to the manager of the gunsmithing dept and explained my issue. He said send us your rifle and we'll inform you when it will be shipped back, but at this time we are eight week away from that day. I agreed because i figured it would only sit in my safe anyway.

I stripped the rifle of it's barrel / receiver even the swivel studs and carefully bubble wrapped the entire stock and sent it off.
March 12 2021 they received it and was now waiting for the right recoil pad from the a manufacture. I have called them several times in the weeks that followed to check on it's progress and finally late in April they sent it back but this was just the beginning of what I considered a bad horror movie. Opening the undamaged box the first thing I looked at was the recoil pad and it looked excellent as expected on a Weatherby. as I pulled the stock out I noticed the end cap on this Mark V deluxe was partialy separated and loose . I was totally disgusted to say the least. Calling the company to inquire how did this happen? They asked me if the box was damaged when delivered. I said no. then he told me to send it back and they would email a label and take care of it.

By this time I was so frustrated and ****ed, I called the Weatherby back in Wyoming and explained the Issues I was having with their recommendation of this company. Weatherby customer service indicated this company that did their warranty work was quality in all respects and blamed it possibly in shipping. I didn't push this issue any further and sent it off again.

In mid May I received their return, expecting all was good but by the condition of the box I was assured it wasn't as the enclosed pictures show. The repair on the end cap was reattached but not with the expertise of any gunsmith I have ever done business with in the past. The spacers between the stock and pad were knocked out of place and had to be realigned. At first I was hesitant in returning it a third time for fear it would come back in two pieces. At this point I took a deep breath and called them back and explained what happened. They once again, sent a mailing label and If i could have purchased a Kevlar box I would have. I did however find a super strong box wrapped the stock in Five layers bubble wrap said a prayer and sent it off.

In June I received it back in the same box I sent it in, as I instructed before mailing and to my surprise all was good, except for the shoddy job on the end cap. I called Weatherby for the last time and explained, if you would give me your email I will send you photos, before and after the work these people did, that you recommended and they declined to do so. You know there's an old saying, when you laugh the whole world laughs with you but when you cry, you cry alone. Iv'e lost a lot of respect for Weatherby Arms, I thought they were better then that. The picture is the second time I received it and the end cap is their repair work. View attachment 283240
Wow! I'd expect better from Weatherby. I'd call Adam Weatherby!

Sorry to hear your experience, it sucks when you outsource and get shoddy work back.
I love Weatherby cartridges, not so much their rifles. I bought a Mark V Deluxe in 340 about 25 years ago, NEW! It was more than a months pay for me at the time, it just would not shoot. The GS where I bought it were very helpful and apologetic, but were getting nowhere with the Weatherby reps regarding warranty issues.
Being in Australia, we can't, as a citizen, just mail a rifle to the US for warranty, it has to go through the correct channels.
Anyway, after about 16 months, the rifle was sent back, inspected, and was found to have a crooked chamber/bore to action.
It was re-barreled and sent back after another 4 months wait.
Never even shot it, put it up for sale at my cost of purchase and it sold within a week.
I have never experienced such a bad CS situation in ANY business, regardless of it being a rifle manufacturer.
I now have all my Weatherby chamberings' on Winchester Model 70 stainless actions as switch barrels.

Cheers.

Knight, very shoddy work and excessive time out of your possession. I have four of those exact stocks and when a new pad is needed I take the old pad to my local Sportsman's to match with a new Limbsaver. Very good fit and only a couple hours down time.