Weatherby Mark-V Trigger Adjustment or Replacement

Buano

I've got a Mark-V Alaskan (nickel plated) in .300 Weatherby that I love — except for the trigger. I've adjusted the trigger and am still not satisfied. Is it practical to rework this trigger to make it lighter & crisp or should I simply drop in a Timney or Jewell?

(I put a Timney in my Ruger M77 25-06 & love it.)

Thoughts?

This one is generally for the USA rifle trigger:
Weatherby Rifles Forum - How to MOD your MK V Trigger.

However, I used that same spring in my Alaskan and it worked just fine. It's an inexpensive modification to try first if you wish.

Otherwise the Timney unit works great. I have that on one Mark V because it came that way, all the rest use the spring and other tricks listed in the link above.

This one is generally for the USA rifle trigger:
Weatherby Rifles Forum - How to MOD your MK V Trigger.

However, I used that same spring in my Alaskan and it worked just fine. It's an inexpensive modification to try first if you wish.

Otherwise the Timney unit works great. I have that on one Mark V because it came that way, all the rest use the spring and other tricks listed in the link above.

THANKS for the link!

Where do I get a replacement spring from?

How light are you looking to go? The spring in it should go to 24-32 ounces pretty easy. The trick is the sear engagement. To much and it will be heavy and creepy. If you clip one coil it will dial to 15-16 ounces or so. If I change spring rate I can safely get 6-8 ounces out of the Mark 5 trigger. I like the factory piece a lot better than the Timney.

How light are you looking to go? The spring in it should go to 24-32 ounces pretty easy. The trick is the sear engagement. To much and it will be heavy and creepy. If you clip one coil it will dial to 15-16 ounces or so. If I change spring rate I can safely get 6-8 ounces out of the Mark 5 trigger. I like the factory piece a lot better than the Timney.

I like being educated. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.