Weatherby fire forming

bamadawg2009

So I just bought some 8mm magnum brass from a guy sight unseen to make 7mm STW brass, he had 2 20 round boxes of virgin and 30 loose pcs. I got the brass today and 26 of the loose pcs look to have a weatherby shoulder so I measured the necks and they have been shrunk to .308.

My question is can you fireform brass from 8mm magnum and get weatherby brass and if so what caliber is it? My guess was 300 weatherby.

I'd be getting a refund if he sold me some junk like that...

Sounds like someone made .300 Wby out of it. You can do that, but you'll have to run one through a FL 7STW sizer and load a light load and shoot them to pop them back out to STW brass. Make sure it's a light load so you don't blow the shoulders out. I can post a few good examples if you'd like?

I made a mistake and pushed some 7STW Tejas brass back to form .300 Ackley and all I did was screw it up. Should have just backed it down with an STW die and bumped the shoulder back to form STW brass. I've only lost about 5 out of 65 or so, thus far, so I'm still ahead a good bit for what I paid for that nosler brass. :D

Still got 50 more to form back out, but we'll see how those go. Might go this weekend, since I don't have any plans thus far. Might be a range weekend.

I told him about it and he said he would send me some to replace it. He told me it was some brass his uncle had and had passed away so he was clearing it all out for his aunt.

If I could have afforded it at the time I would have bought all he had 240pcs virgin 8mm magnum for $18 a 20 I figured these days that wasn't bad for how scarce this stuff is.

I was just seeing if you could form it to weatherby and I'd sell it if somebody wanted it, but I'll probably just scrap it now.

How many pieces is it? Do the necks look good and smooth where the shoulder meets the neck? Any creases?

Before you throw it away, I might be interested in it, if it hasn't been shot beyond it's lifespan.

How many pieces is it? Do the necks look good and smooth where the shoulder meets the neck? Any creases?

Before you throw it away, I might be interested in it, if it hasn't been shot beyond it's lifespan.

Nah it's all good and smooth no creases or bulges. PM me your phone# and I'll send you some pics of them, there's 24pcs.

You should be able to form them back out with no problem if the shoulder/neck joint isn't creased. If it is, you still can form them back out, but you risk cracking a few shoulders & necks. Which, 1 or 2 losses isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.

Run one of them through a FL 7mm STW sizing die, and put a light load in it (around 50 grains of Reloder 22) and a cheap bullet, and go see how well they form back out. They might still be useable for you. Especially since 8mm/STW & .300 Wby all use pretty close to the same brass OAL.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts