Weatherby calibers for long range shooting

morning, could someone please tell me why the weatherby actions and larger

weatherby ccalibers r not used in long range hunting and target shooting??

I have a 257, 7mm and 340 and they all shoot very good.

just country NRA-TSRA life member

Please advisegun)

You will hear many different opinions and most of the negative opinions are just that, "OPINIONS"

I am a big fan of the Mark 5 Weatherby for all of the BIG cartridges, And the 700 Remington for the standard cartridges. Both have there place and perform well, They also respond well to any form of accurizing.

The main drawback to the Mark 5 is the price to find a donor.

The Mark 5 Weatherby action is one of/if not the strongest actions made and I have built many sub 1/10th MOA rifles on them. When the smith knows the Mark 5 and does his job they are hard to beat. The flat bottom is also very common on many accurate rifle actions (Winchester, Sako, Mauser
And many more) and does not cause poor accuracy.

The Mark 5 is also the most accurately machined, action to action I have ever found. The only thing that Is a problem for there accuracy is the tiny barrels that come on the factory rifles. If a good, medium to heavy barrel is installed correctly, You will have a winner. The big belted cases, if loaded correctly are very accurate.

So in my opinion, there is little not to like about them And the reason they are not at the top of the list for custom long range rifles is Price and the availability of after market parts.

Just my experiences with the Mark 5 action and Weatherby cartridges.

J E CUSTOM

morning, i did not mean the rifle itself. I meant the calibers. U take any caliber

that WBees advertise, technically speaking. The caliber and cartridge r maxed

out to bullet weight and powder charge for ammo sold in stores. Now a

person can take the Wbee's cartridge and push the cartridge to the max.

My Wbee's shoot extremely well once I find the sweet spot. To say that

a Wbee's r expensive. The customs that r advertised by custom LR shooters

cost in the $2500+++ range r more expensive than the price of a real Mark V

For example i just bought a 7mm Wbee german made for $650. has a bulge in

the barrel. i will remove the barrel, put a Hart 1-10 twist, SS ,30" barrel, #7

contour 7mm Wbee back in the action for roughly $1200. The Vanguard

is not a Wbee. yes as advertised, not in texture. My opinon

just country Life Member NRA-TSRAgun)

I would have no problem owning another Mark V, if I could get a Deluxe with a bad barrel for the price you paid, then it would be worth dropping the money into a custom barrel. The only reason I didn't do that with my Accumark, was because I could no longer stand the sight of it because everything about that rifle was either built on a Monday morning, or Friday afternoon, and appeared to have been made of parts from the scrap bin... It was just a pile of junk, and I would have had to buy a new stock, aftermarket trigger, and aftermarket barrel blank, and have it all blueprinted and put together. That's a paycheck I'm not willing to sink into a rifle I had paid as much for, as that one. At that point, I no longer would have had an "Accumark", I would have had a custom rifle built off of a $1,800 factory action. :rolleyes:

$650 for a used Mark V, and all it needs is a barrel...Yeah, I think that was a pretty good buy. I probably would have jumped on it.

I use weatherby accumark 338-378s in long range hunting .Its awesome worked perfict I. Alaska 12 years.It is the finest hunting rifle I ever owned .It shoots under an inch at 300 yards with 250 gr nosler partitions .They are awesome guns!

If I am correct the OP asked about long range hunting AND target..... If you look at the equipment list for the winners of ANY 600+ yard competition I bet you will be have a hard time finding ANY weatherby actions. I am not saying that they aren't good hunting guns for most people, but they "for the price" aren't nearly as good as the customs that you can get and if they where better you would see people using them in competition. If you want to build a SUB MOA "hunting rifle" any decent action will work, but that isn't what I took from the OP since it included target.
And all the 300WBY caliber shooters still using this cartridge in competition from what I can see are NOT using a Weatherby action or gun, they are using customs or Remingtons and just chambering a custom barrel up in that caliber.

I suspect that weatherby mark v actions would be more common in custom built rifles if they were sold individually.

People work pretty hard to beat the performance of that 378 case in a lot of configurations. Not saying it can't be done, but it is non trivial.

If I am correct the OP asked about long range hunting AND target..... If you look at the equipment list for the winners of ANY 600+ yard competition I bet you will be have a hard time finding ANY weatherby actions. I am not saying that they aren't good hunting guns for most people, but they "for the price" aren't nearly as good as the customs that you can get and if they where better you would see people using them in competition. If you want to build a SUB MOA "hunting rifle" any decent action will work, but that isn't what I took from the OP since it included target.
And all the 300WBY caliber shooters still using this cartridge in competition from what I can see are NOT using a Weatherby action or gun, they are using customs or Remingtons and just chambering a custom barrel up in that caliber.

real long range target shooting starts at 1000 yards, and goes out from there. You see some 700 Remington actions, but most are custom. Rifles weigh well over 20lb. Barrels are nothing similar close to what most of us think of. Even the chambers and throats are different.

The last MK.V I bought sold for $540 new in the box. It was a 30-06 lightweight (six lug instead of nine lug). So much for the price tag! Especially knowing you have to literally re-machine the Remington action. Not that a Weatherby is perfect, but a hell of a lot closer to being perfect. All Savage actions I've checked come in well under .002" compound error. The Remington will be closer to .010". The barrel will be similar in whatever action one chooses. There is a light gun class in 1000 yard shooting, and this is where you'll see your Remingtons. Mostly 6.5's and 7mm's.
gary

real long range target shooting starts at 1000 yards, and goes out from there. You see some 700 Remington actions, but most are custom. Rifles weigh well over 20lb. Barrels are nothing similar close to what most of us think of. Even the chambers and throats are different.

The last MK.V I bought sold for $540 new in the box. It was a 30-06 lightweight (six lug instead of nine lug). So much for the price tag! Especially knowing you have to literally re-machine the Remington action. Not that a Weatherby is perfect, but a hell of a lot closer to being perfect. All Savage actions I've checked come in well under .002" compound error. The Remington will be closer to .010". The barrel will be similar in whatever action one chooses. There is a light gun class in 1000 yard shooting, and this is where you'll see your Remingtons. Mostly 6.5's and 7mm's.
gary

That is what Im getting at, they are all customs with a few exceptions. Why because for the price of a MKV action and the work needed to complete it you can just buy the custom. and if you don't wanna spend that much you can buy a Rem and have it done. I do a lot of shooting and everything I do starts at that 1000 and further and I know a lot of REALLY accomplished shooters. if your gonna spend the money to do a MKV the right way your crazy to not just buy a Stiller, Neiska, etc.

morning, thanks JE Customs, very good explantion. bang bang very expensive

hobby. Knowledge is everything.

Just country

NRA-TSRA life membergun)

Out of all the custom guns I have built or bought- the most accurate is still a Mark V based 300 Wby I built back in 1994. .332 neck- shoots 210 Berger's at 3000 fps. 80 grains of 7828 to those who are interested. 3 shot groups of 3.5 to 4.5 inches at 1000 yards are more common than not. The rifle has a 5/5 Pac-nor barrel .950 at the muzzle and weighs around 16 lbs. with a NF 5.5x22 on it.

I built a .30-.378 on a 34 in Pac-nor 3/3. 240 Sierra's at 3100+- but the brass life sucked, which is why ultimately I stopped using the big Wby case. I still shoot the .300- but re-chambered the 30-378 to a 35* 338 Lapua Imp.

morning, Marine Sniper, morning gunny. I am building a 7mm Wbee magnum.

the rifle is german made. i bought the rifle, the barrel has a bulge at the end

of the barrel. i am having a new barrel installed. I am thinking about the #7

contour 30" finished SS Lija barrel. any suggestions or is this a good match.

the barrel suggestion would b appreciated. i afford any barrel suggested.

the stock is a H&S precision made for wbee calibers. when u purchase a

H&S precision stock. u have to order the stock german made verison per

Stocky's stock.

thank u

just country NRA-TSRA life membergun)

Just country,

I have many Weatherby.

If you are building a hunting rifle I would recommend a shorter barrel. If target match long is fine. My German Mark V 338 Edge is 29".

If it will be in a Weatherby caliber make sure you know if the Smith uses a factory reamer or match. If match, when you load for it start at the low end of the charge.

I use Bell & Carlson stocks. I would like to bear his your HS works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.