Weatherby bedding,action screw tension, reloads for .270 Wea Mag

dmjhwk

I am assembling a .270 Wea Mag, ie;stock change out,
but haven't done anything to the Action etc and have full length epoxy bedded it,using the two pressure tabs in the forearm as "reference" for the pressure duplication. Has anyone done this type of bedding w/ Weatherby(a 26" fluted#2) or have any "experienced" advice on same? I've
ranged it and gotten 1"1/2-3" groups-eratic, so I hung 5.5
lbs from the swivel location, and got some separation. I installed temp shims, and the grouping improved-.75"-which is ok I guess using 150H wea ammo. I can't find any data for torque on the action screws, and specific pressure point info- any advice?(this barrel doesn't like to be floated).And finally anybody found a good accuracy loading/spec w/ H4831 or RL-25?

gnslgr,
I have rebedded both of my 257 Wthrby's and had the same issues with bedding/grouping. You NEED a pressure point with factory barrel/stock configuration. I learned this from my Lazermark, which I immediately applied to my Lghtwgt. I used the shim technique as you have at the range to attain the grouping with the particular handload I wanted to shoot. Then I bedded them. It now shoots pretty much .5 all day long any day with the first 2 round cutting, the 3rd a little outside 10;00, both of them. I do not know of the #age applied pressure to the barrels. I do not shoot anymore than 3 shot groups and you let the barrel cool completely between groupings. I dont time or care to time between shots as you don't do that in the field hunting.
The torque I use on the Lgwht. is 65"lb's, factory torque. I can't remember the torque on the wood stock I use. If you call Wthrby I'm sure they'll give you a torque number.
I shoot H-1000 in both my rifles for my hunting loads (115 grn bullets). I had used RL-22 with the 100grn bullets and still would if I used that bullet. This is what I know about Wthrby's. You might want to look at some loads for the 270 Wthrby at... Steves pages
Hang in there you'll get her shooting and if its a factory barrel both of mine shot better after 200 rounds for what it's worth.

Thanks for the info freebore- Weatherby info is hard to round up sometimes, lots of "comments" from non weatherby shooters and most of it innaccurate!stonewall believes the forend pressure is between 12-14#,so I'll shim in small inc's until it "stabilizes". Also, this rifle has about
140-160 rounds fired-so the 200 number to be "shot in"
sounds good also- theres an excuse to go send 'smore downrange!
Dave

This is bizzare,yesterday, I added some more tension to the barrel(#2,fluted,26")-which was full length bedded, with 5lbs from the stock forend press points.... I'm at 8 1/2 lbs,which is about a business card of thickness over the
stock piont. This was after calling Weatherby for tension info(8 to 12lbs), the first group fired after a fouling shot, measured .65-this was w/10-20 mph quartering head
wind.Several .75'ish with hot barrel-all groups had "2 in 1's"-not dead centers, but with about .25/less of overlap.
HMMM-the "third falling high at ...10:00. Factory 150's were
the round of preference-so I'm a little happier now...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.