Weatherby 270 mag can't hit the broad side of a barn

If only you could borescope it......I would suggest that the barrel is still dirty. You said you cleaned it but didn't say with what products. Also you didn't mention what came out of the barrel. I would give it a good scrubbing with Rem 40X or JB bore paste followed by a copper solvent.

I was going to suggest less torque than 65 in/lb but Dr. Vette beat me to it.

Take a q-tip and drag it over the crown. If there is a tiny burr it will catch some fibers.

Is it bedded?

Here are a few other ideas:

An action screw bottoming out in blind hole
Forward screw of front base touching threads of barrel shank
torque action screws, fire a few rounds check torque again
Leupold windage style base windage side screws not tight
Poor crown, optimal way is to check with bore scope
Action screw holes in stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch
Bolt handle touching stock
Mag box must not bind
Recoil lug making early contact in bottom of stock or bedding (rocking action)
Trigger group must not touch stock
Trigger guard must not touch trigger
Clean bore

Keep us informed on your progress

If only you could borescope it......I would suggest that the barrel is still dirty. You said you cleaned it but didn't say with what products. Also you didn't mention what came out of the barrel. I would give it a good scrubbing with Rem 40X or JB bore paste followed by a copper solvent.

I was going to suggest less torque than 65 in/lb but Dr. Vette beat me to it.

Take a q-tip and drag it over the crown. If there is a tiny burr it will catch some fibers.

Is it bedded?

Here are a few other ideas:

An action screw bottoming out in blind hole
Forward screw of front base touching threads of barrel shank
torque action screws, fire a few rounds check torque again
Leupold windage style base windage side screws not tight
Poor crown, optimal way is to check with bore scope
Action screw holes in stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch
Bolt handle touching stock
Mag box must not bind
Recoil lug making early contact in bottom of stock or bedding (rocking action)
Trigger group must not touch stock
Trigger guard must not touch trigger
Clean bore

Keep us informed on your progress

x one.

The rifle was made between 72 and 94 according to Weatherby. Don't torque the action greater than WBY says on their web site you could split the stock. Those Japanese Weatherby's were some of the best looking firearms the company ever built take your time between shots. They certainly had some of the best wood. A good mounting system is a must.

I own 4 Weatherby's these and one I wish I never traded all shot 1/2 MOA with some development.

Hope things work out for you and your bud.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I owned Weatherby Mark V's in the good ol' days before synthetic stocks were available. I wasn't very impressed with the accuracy and brought one of my rifles to a well known Penn gunsmith who bedded the action and free-floated the barrel.
After this accurizing treatment the gun shot noticeably WORSE. I eventually sent the rifle back to Weatherby who advised me that floating the barrel significantly contributed to the inaccuracy problem. They would not work on the stock at this point and I was forced to purchase a new stock which they set back up to factory specs. The rifle shot pretty good after its return.

Within 2 years - the rifle's accuracy went south again. I contacted Weatherby and was told that over 90% of the Mark V rifles that are returned for accuracy issues only needed a thorough bore cleaning despite the fact that the owners swore that the bore "was clean". I'd suggest that you clean that bore as indicated in the post above. IMO liquid solvents alone will not adequately remove the copper mines that develop in some Weatherby barrels.

Eventually, I sent the same rifle back to Weatherby who merely rebedded the barrel pads and the gun shot good again. The problem with this wood stocked rifle was that slowly but surely the stock would walk, warp, move or what-have-you and accuracy robbing pressure was exerted (again) on the barrel.

I personally gave up on the Mark V's even though I really liked them. In that the nicest Mark V's still have wood stocks I carefully look at the barrel bedding issue after an intense cleaning of the bore.

Good luck

my first guess would be that tasco scope. I wouldn't get to excited till you've shot it with a proven scope. If it still shoots as terribly send it back to weatherby. All mark Vs are guaranteed to shoot 1.5 inch at a 100 yards with weatherby factory ammo.

Sorry guys, didn't know how thin the wood was...that us the spec I have used on other rifkes without harm. Next time I will nt suggest a spec without looking it up first.

I find it hard to believe a wood stocked rifle that is not free floated will ever be consistent accuracy wise unless you live in an area where the weather doesn't chNge much. Wood is going to move.

Good luck op.

maybe if you live in florida where humidity is an everyday thing but in Michigan we only get humid weather a small part of the year and Ive maybe had guns that sat for 5 years and the group they shoot is a inch away from where I left it but the guns shot just as well. It likely could be off an inch just in the banging around and handling over a 5 year period. Ive never had a gun that was free floated bet barrel pressure down the line from warpage.

I have a 270 mag, and just love it. Still would rather have had a 7mm WBY. mag. Mine shoots sub MOA with several factory loads. The only hand loads I've done shot about .70" five shot groups with about three or four minutes between shots (long enough to take a few drags off a Padrone). Those thin barrels heat up fast, and really open groups. The rifles were designed to be shot with a cold bore.

The Laser Mark is at least 15 years old, and maybe 20 years old. I'd be doing a serious look at the bedding. I've owned two wood stock Weatherbys, and one is very, very stable, while the other opened up right around the receiver. I'd be checking to see if the stock has moved around. Check the recoil lug area, as it maybe bad.

Running hundred grain bullets at the velocities this round will generate may have seriously fouled the barrel. I've had pretty good luck with 150 grain bullets. Avoid the very high B.C. bullets as the twist is slightly slow for them in my book. Avoid the Hornaday SST's from 130 grain and lighter. The velocity is way too high for them. I had them explode in flight. Have a box of 150 grain bullets to try, and think they'll be slow enough. AA3100 powder is what you should be looking for. Use a Federal mag primer (very hot). 7828 works very well too. Try for something like 69K PSI in chamber pressure. Seat the bullet as far out as you can.
gary

Ok first things first..Thanks to everyone I believe we got this puppy figured out and shooting WAY better! Started out scrubbing the barrel but just wasn't seeing any black on my patches after scrubbing with a barrel brush with a copper solvent and cleaning solvent and what ever else we had laying around. The worst we got was a little gray on the patches and thats it...Next thing we done was the dollar bill trick and it won't make it but about 2 inches down the front of the stock and stop. So the next thing was to pull the action out of the stock but before I did I grabbed the scope that is mounted on the gun and with the gun in my old school mag tamer (not sure if evrey one knows what a mag tamer is because it's so old but it's a rifle vise that mounts to the bench and takes the recoil) anyway I grabbed the scope with both hands and tried twisting the scope and trying to feel for movement in the scope mounts or the action moving in the stock but couldn't feel or see anything moving. Took the action out of the stock. When I took the screws out that hold the action to the stock they weren't very tight. Broke them both loose with a screw driver, using only the tips of my thumb and pointing finger broke them loose. That was the first thing I noticed. The second thing I noticed was that the stock had a nice looking bedding job except where the dollar bill stopped was a section that was plain to see they had not cut a troff there for the barrel to lay in and it was actually stepped up to purposely touch the barrel and I could see a black print left in the step where the barrel had been sitting on it. I wanted to sand this place out but figured that it was there for a reason so I left it alone and put the action back in the stock and thought I would come back to it as a last resort thing. Tighten the hold down screws starting with the back one first then the front torquing them to 35 inch pounds each. With the original scope changed out and not a whole lot of ammo left, started to shoot at the 2 foot square piece of plywood that my buddy had stapled the target to the top of the plywood instead of the center. So i drew a black dot at the bottom of the target to shoot at so we could make the most out of the 2 foot square of plywood. Before I had took the action out of the stock I shot a total of 4 times, 2 shots then a 15 minute cool down time. I numbered the shots in the order they were shot. After the #2 group is when I took the gun out of the stock and put the action back in the stock and torqued the screws. aiming at the black dot at the bottom of the target you can see after the #2 group the groups improved big time and consistent. after each group of 2 shots being fired I adjusted on the scope moving it down and to the right after each group until we got down to having 2 bullets left. Wanting to know if it was the action being loose causing the problem or a bad scope I put the orginal scope back on the gun and they were the last 2 shots I fired. The 2 shots were close enough for me to decide that it was the torquing of the hold down screws is what fixed the problem. Thanks again to every one for your time and help

Scotty

Attachments

• ATT_1419819680916_NCM_0847 (1).jpg
    ATT_1419819680916_NCM_0847 (1).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 55
Scotty,

Thanks for sharing. I am a firm believer in tightening action screws to a torque setting. Bet you are too.

Defiantly AZshooter!! Just take those things for granted especially when buying a gun from a really well known dealer in our area for his knowledge of guns. My buddy who the gun belongs to was getting out of heart but we both knew he had a very nice gun but also knew something weren't right. When I put the gun in the vise and tried to move the action or scope and mounts and didn't feel or see anything move was hoping it was a bad scope.. But like I said before we again just took for granted everything was good to go..Lesson learned!! I will be torquing every gun I own or work with... And it was pretty cool to see my buddy get heart back in his new gun. Thanks again
Scotty

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.