WC872 in the 300 RUM?

TORCHRIDER

I asked this a long while back and never received any guidance. Hoping some new info is available. :)

Does anyone have experience working with WC872 in the 300 RUM? I will be loading Hornady 208 AMAX and 220 SMK. Any load data / direction is appreciated. I read that I could use AA8700 of H870 data.

I asked this a long while back and never received any guidance. Hoping some new info is available. :)

Does anyone have experience working with WC872 in the 300 RUM? I will be loading Hornady 208 AMAX and 220 SMK. Any load data / direction is appreciated. I read that I could use AA8700 of H870 data.

I was using wc872 in my 300rum using 190 hornady bullets. I have stopped loading it due to selling the bullets to someone who wanted them a lot more than I did. It works, much like 8700 or h870. I prefer other powders but if that's what you have, go for it. I would load with 8700 or h870 data but start on the low end and work up.

Thanks for the info. What powders did you prefer over the WC872 and why? I have about 32 lbs. of the stuff, which I think will load a few hundred rounds :D and was hoping it would work well. It was too cheap to pass up.

I am on my 10th barrel chambered in 300 rum and have had one since they came out in 1999. I used WC872 in the early years of the cartridge. It worked well with 220 and 240 Mk's but was very dirty and switched H1000 and then RL25 then to retumbo when it came out. It works but in my opinion there are better and much cleaner powders out there. And I used 870 data for starting loads.. I did notice a lot of velocity spikes lot to lot.

Last edited:
I am on my 10th barrel chambered in 300 rum and have had one since they came out in 1999. I used WC872 in the early years of the cartridge. It worked well with 220 and 240 Mk's but was very dirty and switched H1000 and then RL25 then to retumbo when it came out. It works but in my opinion there are better and much cleaner powders out there. And I used 870 data for starting loads.. I did notice a lot of velocity spikes lot to lot.

Thank You for the info. Do you think these will work decently with the Hornady 208 grain AMAX or is the powder too slow for that weight bullet? Besides being dirty were you able to get decent velocities and accuracy? All of my powder is from one lot.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question concerning caluber, but I run it in my 375 cheytac and it performs really well. it likes to be compressed and push heavy projectiles I would expect you'll lag behind retumbo and h1000 speeds a bit

Thank You for the info. Do you think these will work decently with the Hornady 208 grain AMAX or is the powder too slow for that weight bullet? Besides being dirty were you able to get decent velocities and accuracy? All of my powder is from one lot.
I found it to be too slow in shorter barrels... Its worth a shot to try it with the 208's. If you are planning on using it for precision long range shooting I would look at different powders.. I saw extreme spreads of over 60fps with that powder. Not good for long range. If you have it try it. But I think you will find its not a very consistent powder

I found it to be too slow in shorter barrels... Its worth a shot to try it with the 208's. If you are planning on using it for precision long range shooting I would look at different powders.. I saw extreme spreads of over 60fps with that powder. Not good for long range. If you have it try it. But I think you will find its not a very consistent powder

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. I have 48 lbs. so better find a use for it other than fertilizer. :D I will try it in the 300 RUM but do not really have any other cartridges suitable to run it in. Maybe I need to buy a .338 Lapua, 375 Cheytac or .408 Kickenasser. :cool: This will not be a long range precision rifle as I don't have the ability to shoot like that at long range. I may try to hit some steel at 1k at Best of the west though. I guess I will use 870 data and see what it will do. gun)

I shot it in my 26" and my 30" barrels. In the 26" I shot with 180 gr. NBT's . In the 30" I used it with 220 -240 gr. Sierra MK's. It shot good in both, but was dirty. I went away from it and went to H1000 and Retumbo which were excellent all around. I still have quite abit left over. Try it and if your not happy sell it local to someone who could use it.

Thanks for the info. What powders did you prefer over the WC872 and why? I have about 32 lbs. of the stuff, which I think will load a few hundred rounds :D and was hoping it would work well. It was too cheap to pass up.

I use rl25 and rl33 in my 300rum with 180-225 grain pills.... I use retumbo in my 7rum...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.