water proofing barrels

earl1704

Does anyone have a product to protect the finish of barrels. where I hunt there is lots of moisture in the air and surrounding brush when I leave the hunting area at night my barrels have already started to show rust spots. I have to rub them down well and oil them till they drip. The next day same problem. :cool:

This may sound funny, but it works. I was shooting a lot of competition in the rain a few years ago and was having the same problem you describe. I had read about waxing firearms to protect them, so I completely stripped one of my competition rifles (model 1873 in 357mag). I degreased it and waxed it with Carnuba car wax. I put 2 coats with a buffing between (on all the external surfaces) on the barrel, action and other metal parts. I then oiled all the internal parts (as per normal) and re-assembled. I shot that rifle for 2+ months (probably 20 days outside at least 1/2 of them in the rain). It never rusted AT ALL!

AJ

I"m with AJ on this one.

The only rifle that I've ever had that did not ever show rust was my semi custom circa 1966 270 Win on a Mauser action and Douglas CM barrel.

I used a slow rust process to finish the metal parts. I suppose the same process used in the old days to turn the long rifles brown. It was a pretty sweet looking finish and was way tougher than bluing with beautiful highlights and zip reflection.

The last step in the process was to wax it. I don't recall what type of wax I used but i recall giving it a couple of goes and never did it again for over 30 years. It never rusted and saw all kinds of weather.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.