Carbon Barrels?

sextonds

To start, I have never owned a carbon barrel. What is the smallest contour carbon barrel on the market, and who makes it? Wanting to build a lightweight/long range setup with my 7-08 Rem 700. This is my rifle of choice for deer. I'd like to keep it as low profile as possible, lightweight and hopefully increase accuracy. Wanting to stick with a sporter or magnum contour. Is this possible with carbon barrels?

No I don't think so. Steel is your only choice with those contours as far as I know

Bartlein makes a #4 carbon that's the smallest I know of. It's not much lighter then their rem varmint carbon and about the same as a proof if I remember right.

Carbon six has a featherweight contour that's .750 at the muzzle. I think it's about the same as the Bartlien 4.

FWIW I set out to pick up a featherweight carbon 6 with similar goals and was talked into getting the next size up by the company because i intended to use a suppressor. The guy told me different in featherweight vs sendero would be less than 2oz. My finished 23" sendero savage small shank came in at 42.5oz for reference.

If you are going light as possible and aren't worried about heating up (hunting) and a thick muzzle (based on you saying as thin as possible) a fluted sporter should come in lighter than thinnest CF and be cheaper. Likely won't hold a suppressor as well is largest downfall.

Call Matt at longway brass. Their smallest contour is the lightest blank on the planet. I have had carbon barrels from all them carbon 6, bartlein, proof, paradigm, benchmark....etc Bartlein gets my money, but I also shoot their heaviest M24 contour.

Buy her a Barrett Fieldcraft if you can find one. Super lite and handy, amazingly accurate for what they are.

To start, I have never owned a carbon barrel. What is the smallest contour carbon barrel on the market, and who makes it? Wanting to build a lightweight/long range setup with my 7-08 Rem 700. This is my rifle of choice for deer. I'd like to keep it as low profile as possible, lightweight and hopefully increase accuracy. Wanting to stick with a sporter or magnum contour. Is this possible with carbon barrels?
Not sure on smallest contour but just for reference I just finished my 300 PRC build for hunting; Defiance action, Proof Research 26" barrel, MPA Ultralight chassis. With scope and bipod it weighs 9.2 lbs. My buddy built an identical 6.5 PRC except went with 24" barrel, Terminus Titanium action and lighter Khales scope. His weight is 7.12 lbs.

Attachments

• 404CF0C1-CE6B-4066-9C82-93C91E88EF34.jpeg
    404CF0C1-CE6B-4066-9C82-93C91E88EF34.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts