Washington wolf pop. nearly doubled last year, WDFW states:

Spent the weekend at our mountian place and on friday night about 1:00am awoke to howls. Stepped out the door and rattled off about 6 rounds and never heard another sound all weekend. We have seen their tracks in the blu's for about seven years now and there are getting to be enough of them that they are showing up on game cameras and people are starting to see them in the woods. Our elk populations are having a hard enough time surviving with out the wolves making it worse. They need to be treated just like the yotes. See them, Shoot them.

Yup. Well if the elk and deer numbers get down to where you can't hardly find one you can thank the progressives. We have that problem with brownbear on the coast up here. At least you guys don't have to worry too much about a wolf killing you when your packing out meat.

The draft U.S. Department of Interior rule obtained by The Associated Press contends the roughly 6,000 wolves now living in the Northern Rockies and Great Lakes are enough to prevent the species' extinction. The agency says having gray wolves elsewhere — such as the West Coast, parts of New England and elsewhere in the Rockies — is unnecessary for their long-term survival.

"It ends up being a political question more than a biological one," Vucetich said. "It's very unlikely the wolves will make it to places like the Dakotas and the Northeast unless the federal government provides some kind of leadership.

So the people that put them in other peoples back yard don't want them in theirs. A shame really, I was looking forward to them eating every house cat, and llama from Seattle to San Diego. Denver could use a few as well. Not the whole of Colorado just Denver.

So the people that put them in other peoples back yard don't want them in theirs. A shame really, I was looking forward to them eating every house cat, and llama from Seattle to San Diego. Denver could use a few as well. Not the whole of Colorado just Denver.

No doubt...

Over the last 50 years I've watched a really good hunting area (deer/black bear/elk) up north of Spokane degrade rather significantly. A lot of that is due to the mature timber with no fires resulting in not much browse for the deer. However, having moose, grizzlies and wolves move in sure hasn't helped. I saw a couple of grey wolves over by Colville a couple years ago. They stood as tall at the shoulder as the deer they were tailing! It takes more than a can of Alpo to keep them satisfied.

I now see more moose than deer in my old stomping ground which isn't all bad but the odds of getting a moose tag are not good. As an example, one weekend I saw 8 deer and 12 moose and the deer don't much run anymore as they think anything making a racket is a moose! We haven't had any attacks on people yet but the grizzlies are chowing down on the elk and have spread clear down to the Blue Mountains. In the Mountain View GMU, I saw a female grizzly wandering across an open hillside and I'm the one that changed course when I figured out that we were headed into each other. It does get your attention knowing that you are sharing the woods with a grizzly or even a wolf pack. I want them gone – all of them. They are nothing but a pain in the *** or worse. In fact I will volunteer the entire Washington population of both grizzly and wolves to move to the city of Denver. That plus a decent fire or two we could get back to some good deer hunting not to mention elk.

Over the last 50 years I've watched a really good hunting area (deer/black bear/elk) up north of Spokane degrade rather significantly. A lot of that is due to the mature timber with no fires resulting in not much browse for the deer. However, having moose, grizzlies and wolves move in sure hasn't helped. I saw a couple of grey wolves over by Colville a couple years ago. They stood as tall at the shoulder as the deer they were tailing! It takes more than a can of Alpo to keep them satisfied.

I now see more moose than deer in my old stomping ground which isn't all bad but the odds of getting a moose tag are not good. As an example, one weekend I saw 8 deer and 12 moose and the deer don't much run anymore as they think anything making a racket is a moose! We haven't had any attacks on people yet but the grizzlies are chowing down on the elk and have spread clear down to the Blue Mountains. In the Mountain View GMU, I saw a female grizzly wandering across an open hillside and I'm the one that changed course when I figured out that we were headed into each other. It does get your attention knowing that you are sharing the woods with a grizzly or even a wolf pack. I want them gone – all of them. They are nothing but a pain in the *** or worse. In fact I will volunteer the entire Washington population of both grizzly and wolves to move to the city of Denver. That plus a decent fire or two we could get back to some good deer hunting not to mention elk.
Agree completely, moose sightings have gone from a rare occurrence to probably the best Shira Moose tag to have anywhere. All the money spent transporting and preserving them will have been a total waste.

Cuts, and fire would help, but the space is limited compared to some. Especially winter range. It's kind of of double whammy, a harsh winter takes down the numbers, and the predators don't let them recover. We've limited the opportunity to pursue lions, and bears, and literally have areas that more predators than prey exist. It was was unbalanced, and introducing the wolf into the mix-well you get the point. We don't have the numbers of game animals other places have, and for example the "Wedge" pack rather quickly discovered livestock. One of the great shocks of my life was Washington state officials acting at all to kill members of that pack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.