WAS: Deal gone bad with jobo157 BEWARE

Re: Deal gone bad with jobo157 BEWARE

Hate this when it happens.. Maybe an address on the thread would help. Maybe somebody lives by this guy. I know it's small but it sucks
Here is his contact info:
[REMOVED]
I'm about 48 miles from his location. Might be able to swing by there Thursday. Want me to see what's up? JohnnyK.
go say hi johnny
This is not how it will ever work here. LRH (Len and all of his staff) appreciates the difficulties our members may have with a seller or buyer, but will never condone the use of personal information or the perceived threats that these kinds of responses imply as a legitimate method of solving your classifieds problems. We will do what we can to help, but the nature of this type of buying and selling leaves us all with limited recourse - and Len with great liability, should something bad happen.

LRH needs to step up to the plate like ArcheryTalk and SnipersHide have and allow us good trustworthy users to build our rep through the feedback.
Len agrees with some of you about feedback. He assigned me the task of finding a solution that will satisfy you. Unfortunately, there is not much available. I tried to see what they use on Archery Talk, but their pages aren't loading at this time. Sniper's Hide is a newer version of the vBulletin forum software and we have no plans to upgrade to that version at this time. If you can provide me with direct links to any website's feedback section, I will have a look to see if it might be something we can use here.

Another thing I think that would help is before you can post to the classifieds you have to be a sponsor or have a 100 posts.
That would be too restrictive. There are a lot of qualified buyers and sellers that would not be able to do either if they had to post 100 messages first.

I have ask for a feedback or rating several times and never even been acknowledged
I found 3 comments you made in 2 threads, one you started. Both threads were in the General Chat forum, which is not a forum that is monitored closely by staff. If you have questions or suggestions about the LRH website, they should be addressed in the Website & Forum Support - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine forum. I get an email notification whenever a new thread is posted there and Len actively monitors that forum too. This thread grabbed Len's attention and he asked me to see what I could do. I hope that counts as acknowledgement. ;) (and I'll see what I can do about the serious lack of smiley functionality here too - that ;) on the left is supposed to be a
wink2.gif
)

---

There is now a new forum, Buyers & Sellers Feedback. It has just been created to serve your need to have a place to share feedback on any buyer or seller. I haven't created the how-to for that forum yet, but I moved the original thread these posts came from there. I split all of these posts off because that forum will have a narrow focus of actual buyer or seller feedback. Any miscellaneous discussion beyond actual buyer/seller feedback will be deleted.

If you have a buyer or a seller you want to provide feedback for, the appropriate method will be to search for that buyer or seller in that forum, or start a new thread using the thread title [User Name] - use only the user name of the individual you want to give feedback on as the thread title. That does not mean "jobo157 BEWARE." A feedback thread for jobo157 would be titled ONLY "jobo157."

You will be able to use the thread rating system and/or feedback comments. If you have not entered into a transaction with that buyer or seller, you should not make feedback comments to that thread. Those threads will not be discussion threads, they will only be feedback comments. However, any member of LRH can rate the thread for that seller/buyer.

I will update this thread with a link to the new how-to when I am finished. You will be able to reply to that thread with your comments, questions or suggestions regarding Buyer & Seller Feedback.

Thanks,

Jim McClain aka Teh Fixer, LRH Webmaster

Last edited:
Teh Fixer...

I commend you for addressing the concerns of the members in regards to feedback. I think you are on the right path and what you have in place now is a nice stop-gap until you implement what was mentioned previously. Likely will be addressed with the upgrade you mentioned.

The other systems are simple, work, and are identical. Also, when you are looking to buy something you simply look under a users name and it has the number of transactions next to a percentage. Gives guys a warm/fuzzy before they decide on buying or not.

Lets keep up the good work and reward those who contribute, grow the site and the sport.

Teh Fixer...

I commend you for addressing the concerns of the members in regards to feedback. I think you are on the right path and what you have in place now is a nice stop-gap until you implement what was mentioned previously. Likely will be addressed with the upgrade you mentioned.

The other systems are simple, work, and are identical. Also, when you are looking to buy something you simply look under a users name and it has the number of transactions next to a percentage. Gives guys a warm/fuzzy before they decide on buying or not.

Lets keep up the good work and reward those who contribute, grow the site and the sport.
This is what I said about an upgrade:
I tried to see what they use on Archery Talk, but their pages aren't loading at this time. Sniper's Hide is a newer version of the vBulletin forum software and we have no plans to upgrade to that version at this time. If you can provide me with direct links to any website's feedback section, I will have a look to see if it might be something we can use here.
I was finally able to get on ArcheryTalk... well, enough to have a look at the source code and it tells me they also use a newer version of the forum software we use. I won't go into specifics, but LRH, even though it is using an older version of vBulletin, is using a version that is more secure and safer than any of the newer versions. Unless they fix the myriad problems with either branch of the newer versions, we will not be upgrading to them.

For the version of forum software we use, there are no plugins or add-ons that offer feedback capability available with developer support. There is a plugin that includes feedback capability in its classifieds features, but its reviews by forum owners and members is extremely poor. Not least among the issues was the fact that the developer takes 10% of every sale. It may be hard for some of you to believe, but Len has no interest in taking part of your classifieds money.

Thanks,

Disappointing news I guess. I've been on AT since 06/07 and there has been a feedback option since then. Sucks that the newer versions of the vBulletin aren't safe enough to use and we have to use this version, which is apparently a minimum of 7 years old. Hopefully things get worked out.

Good luck.

This is what I said about an upgrade:

I was finally able to get on ArcheryTalk... well, enough to have a look at the source code and it tells me they also use a newer version of the forum software we use. I won't go into specifics, but LRH, even though it is using an older version of vBulletin, is using a version that is more secure and safer than any of the newer versions. Unless they fix the myriad problems with either branch of the newer versions, we will not be upgrading to them.

For the version of forum software we use, there are no plugins or add-ons that offer feedback capability available with developer support. There is a plugin that includes feedback capability in its classifieds features, but its reviews by forum owners and members is extremely poor. Not least among the issues was the fact that the developer takes 10% of every sale. It may be hard for some of you to believe, but Len has no interest in taking part of your classifieds money.

Thanks,

Are you a Democrat per chance?:D

Disappointing news I guess. I've been on AT since 06/07 and there has been a feedback option since then. Sucks that the newer versions of the vBulletin aren't safe enough to use and we have to use this version, which is apparently a minimum of 7 years old. Hopefully things get worked out.

Good luck.
Have you given our new feedback feature a dance? I still can't see what AT uses. I visited their site several times recently and, except for those days I couldn't get on at all, this is what I see in Firefox:

at-say-wha.gif

I was able to see what people should see by using Chrome and IE. I registered an account there. But almost an hour later, I still don't have my account activation email, so I can't see what their feedback feature is all about.

There is a how-to guide for feedback though... WOW.
scratchhead.gif
I'm not sure I understand all of it, but it gives me the feeling that it's not any more or less difficult than our new system. At least we have a system for feedback now. I'm glad to see it is being used.

Our version of forum software was recently updated to fix an exploit. All the newer versions were also updated. But the version we use, by an overwhelming majority of webmasters' opinions, is much more stable than any newer version. Because vBulletin software has lost favor in the past few years, developers have stopped producing new and supporting older plugins. There's a lot more to LRH than just this forum and upgrading to a newer version of poorly supported forum software would be a massive and complicated undertaking. There may come a time when a completely different software will replace this one. Or not. Len will make that decision when the time comes.
Are you a Democrat per chance?:D
I am a contract webmaster. I work in the virtual world, but my responsibilities still involve building, fixing leaks, moving, designing and occasionally eliminating. I love my work. They call me Teh Fixer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.