Bad Alaska outfitter--beware!!!

goodgrouper

Just thought I would throw this out there so no one else gets skrewed.

My buddy just returned home from a griz/dall sheep hunt in Alaska and was almost in tears. Seems his so called "guide" and "outfitter" was nothing more than a cheat and a crook. His name is Bill Burwell and he runs Ram Creek Outfitters. To make a long story short--DON"T BOOK A HUNT WITH THIS THIEF!!

HE told my buddy that there were 40" rams everywhere and that they had a 95% success rate on sheep and grizzlys. Well, after 10 days up there, they saw only one double broomed ram that was just barely legal and it was an ugly sheep with only 28" long curls. They saw 3 black bears which means there were no grizz in the whole area and all he saw was 1 four month old track!

He was also told that they could hunt several large areas including a indian res and when they got there the "guide" said that they had to stay in two small canyons only because he lost his license for guiding on the res.

My buddy was also told that the hunt would not be a very strenuous hunt so that my buddie's dad could also go and get a ram without having a heart attack (he is old and has bad knees) and when they got there they learned that it would be a minimum of 3000 foot ascent every day just to get to a spot to look for rams.

My buddy brought his 20-60x80mm Docter binos that he uses for guiding Desert bighorn hunters here in Utah and he was told to leave them in the plane because they were to heavy for the horses to pack in. Oh, but did I mention that they had plenty of room to pack in several cases of BEER instead!! What kind of sheep guide leaves great optics home and brings nothing but beer?!!?

The "guide" also said that my buddies 7mm mag would be plenty for grizz because he carried a 500 S&W as backup. LIE. He was given one the day before the hunt by another guide and he had no idea how to shoot it or even how to load it!!

The "guide" also says on his website that he "guides" every hunter personally for the entire hunt and has 27 years of experience. Well in reality, he only "guided" for a couple of the days and left the rest up to a 19 year old kid with one year experience who he called, "an excellent guide".

ANyhow, the whole hunt was $7000 dollars for both my buddy and his dad and it was paid upfront. Needless to say, that was a big $14,000 nightmare!

So if you know anyone who is booking a hunt with this Bill Burwell from Ram Creek Outfitters, steer them the other direction as fast as you can!

The whole thing is being reported to the Alakan guiding board, the Better Business Bureau, and the Governor of Alaska as I type this. IT will also be made known at the next UFNAWS meeting and the National FNAWS meeting this next year. With any luck, he will be able to get his money back and put this dipstick out of business so no one else gets taken for their hard earned cash.

GG,
If you want, you can e-mail your friend's name and his Dad's name. Also how your friend got referred to this thief. My wife is the events manager of the Fur Rondevous up here in Anchorage, and she know tons of guides and trappers. I also personally know several guides. E-mail me with that info and I will spread the word. Maybe we can get your partners money back and get this guy stopped . NO ONE SHOULD PAY $7,000 A PEICE AND COME OUT OF THE WOODS EMPTY HANDED.
Hope I can help,
Brandon

Sorry to hear about your friend getting ripped-off. I have only been to Alaska twice but my gut-feeling after reading groupers note was that this is a classic buyer-beware situation. I don't claim to know a lot about Alaska but the price quoted for a grizz/sheep hunt would send alarm signals. I can feel for your friend, have seen many hunts unfold that way with crooked guides - from Alaska to B.C. to Quebec to New Mexico to Saskatchewan to name a few.

Hope he gets a refund but that is probably about as likely as all the lies he was told.

If anybody wants a reference for a superb operation in Alaska I cannot say enough good about Wayne Woods Outfitting. He and his guides do what they say they will do, don't make any promises but bust their butts to deliver.

http://www.woods-outfitting.com/

If anybody want a reference for a superb operation in Alaska I cannot say enough good about Wayne Woods Outfitting. He and his guides do what they say they will do, don't make any promises but bust their butts to deliver.

http://www.woods-outfitting.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I know several people who have hunted with Wayne Woods and not one had a negative thing to say. I have met him several times and will hunt with him in the future.

THeir names are Mike and Gary Fisher and they found out about Ram Creek from an advertisement at the last Utah FNAWS banquet held in February.

Gary should have his 3/4 slam by now but got skrewed on this dall hunt and he also got skrewed on his desert hunt. Back in 1986, Utah finally regained a so-called "huntable" desert sheep herd and Once-in-a-lifetime draw statis was given to it. Well Gary got lucky and drew the tag in 1986. Only problem was that the infamous Utah Division of Wildlife resources wasn't really sure how many sheep were here or exactly were they lived throughout the year. So they started the season early to give hunters a chance to hunt them in August/September when they knew the Arizona sheep rutted and it would make them easier to locate and harvest. Well, turns out that Utah sheep prefer to rut from early October through late November so rut hunting was not possible that year, and to make matters worse, the glorious UDWR over-estimated the numbers and we now know that the sheep population declined that year to one sheep for every 19.7 miles!! GOOD LUCK!

So Gary hunted for 2 straight months and never even saw a sheep. He did find a few tracks near Lake Powell, but that was it. AFter admitting that they skrewed up on the population and bio estimation of the bighorns, they were happy to deny Gary a second chance at a once in a lifetime draw.

THis man has come home from two hunts sheepless. That is so sad for a guy who has had dreams of a grand slam for over 40 years. THe only bright spot in his sheep career was two years ago when he drew a Rocky mountian bighorn tag here in Utah of which I was so thankful to be a part of. We ended up nailing a 175" and change ram in the last week of the hunt. It ranks in the top eight rams ever taken from Utah and it is a beautiful animal but he should have two other friends on the wall with him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well considering the FNAWS headquateres is here in Cody.

If I can help out by reporting this idiot or anything, I will personally go there and do what I can. I am really supprised that they would allow such an outfitter to be at the show to book hunts.

anywho.. if I can do anything e-mail me.

This is a sad situation. I would expect more hard work and less beer on a grizz/sheep combo. 7000 bucks for this combo is VERY LOW. Any guide worth his salt would most likely get you for 12-1400 bucks each. Reporting this all to the guide board is a good move. As sad as this is, the state most likely wont demand a refund as the states attitude is that guides sell hunts and not game. Yes it sucks. The law here dictates that a registerd guide only has to be with you in the field once. He can accompany you to the field in the aircraft and then split as long as you are with the assistant guide from there on, the 19 year old kid in this case who is no doubt trying to earn his registerd licence and unfortunatly learning ethics from this "cheap" guide.

I am sorry to hear this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_ak.html

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index...amp;issue_id=12

I have seen this happen in Montana. One operation run by and "experienced" outfitter, which had just been purchased and the outfitter had absolutely no idea how to find elk or even what to do with them when they were on the ground, though that wasn't a problem as he couldn't ever find one to shoot. The guides: no real hunting experience and had never even shot elk themselves. If you're going on a guided hunt ask for several references and call them on the phone and ask the right questions. Just because they have a good web page doesn't mean they have ever satisfied a customer!

GG,
Here's another angle...Did this 19 year old "guide" consume any of the beer? You might be able to have this jerk arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, as the legal drinking age here is 21. This jackass ought to be punished one way or another.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifFestus

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.