Wanting to get started...

USMC-Mustang

I want to jump in the "long range" rhelm of hunting/shooting. Next year I'll be building a rifle (having a 'smith assemble the parts that I throw together) with the help and advice of a close friend. So far I'm leaning towards a 338-378 Weatherby. I've heard the 30-378 is another excellent option but is barrel life is limited when compared to the 33-378.

For scope I'm thinking about Leupold Mk-4 8-25x50 front focal. Can't decide on mil dot or tacical milling reticle.

Any toughts?

1. Is the caliber good for say, 1000 yard shooting?
2. Scope choice OK?
3. Action?
4. Stock?
5. Trigger?
6. Muzzle break?
7. Bases?

Thanks ahead of time for any inputs.

Mustang

You did not say what you intend to hunt at 1,000 yards. That information may help with some response. I have yet to kill anything beyond 768 yards (deer) and effectively used 7mm WSM for that.

The .338-.378 is a good choice, especially if your going to be shooting beyond 1,000 yards. If its under 1,000 whatever your shooting at will get knocked out cold. I have a .338-.378 in a heavy gun that I use for ultra long range and it works great. The .30-.378 is another good choice. Both calibers are excellent for long range. The 8.5-25 x 50 is a good choice but I believe you would like the side paralax better than the A/O. I like a fine cross hair with a dot and rely on using the turret for adjustments rather than than mil dot. I also sent you a pm with some more info.

I would like to shoot at 1K range on paper. For hunting I would keep it around 500. This will mainly be paper puncher.

It might take me a while to put this rifle together so for the mean time I'm going to put that same scope on a 308 and work with that.

1. Is the caliber good for say, 1000 yard shooting?
2. Scope choice OK?
3. Action?
4. Stock?
5. Trigger?
6. Muzzle break?
7. Bases?

Thanks ahead of time for any inputs.

Mustang

1) Yes both are excellent to either hunting or punching paper at 1000 yards or more. Barrell life will be an issue with either though. Both are large overbore calibers and are hard on barrels.

2) This scope is good. It will offer up good repeatable adjustment and decent glass. My personal recommendation would be an IOR, Nightforce, or US optics. Each offer better glass in a scope that is of equal or better quality.

3) This depends on what you want to spend. A Remington 700 action will work just fine and offer plenty of aftermarket goodies. However if you really want something special go for a true custom. Something along the lines of a Lawton or Surgeon action.

4) I really like Manner stocks. Manner offers outstanding products and customer service. However McMillian, Bell and Carlson, and HS precision also offer up some good products.

5) Believe it or not the old style remington triggers can be tuned up really nice if your smith knows what he/she is doing. However it you get a custom action just get the smith to include the trigger setup with the action and you will have a nice trigger.

6) Just ask who ever you get the barrel from about a brake. They should be able to set you up.

7) There are lots of people out there that manufacter good bases. I personally like TPS. However I hear good things about seekins, Badger Ordinace, and Lawton.

Longshot,

Much appreciated. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Is there another caliber you'd recommend?

Mustang

Well that depends on your exact use. For example 6.5x55 AI, 30-06 with some good handloads, or 7mm-08 AI all would make good 1000 yard rounds that would be capable of taking deer sized game and they aren't bad on barrels. Now if you are looking to hunt coyote sized game and down at that range look at 257 weatherby, 243 winchester, 6.5x55 AI, or 22-250. All of these are good for small game at 1000 yards but the 257 and 243 are barrel burners. And if Big game is your objective at that range look into any of the 300 magnums, 30-06 AI, 8mm remington magnum, 340 weatherby, 338 lapua magnum. All of these are capable to taking large game at 1000 yards however all but the 30-06 AI are barrel burners.

Of all that I mentioned above the most versitile are the 6.5x55 AI and 30-06. Both are capable of many things with the right ammo and aren't bad on barrels.

Also remember to look at the cost of ammo when choosing a caliber. Handloading will save you money but it can still be expensive. Example the brass for my 300 weatherby runs at best just under a dollar a case and the case life is relatively short due to the pressures that the caliber operates at.

Last edited:
What is it your hunting at 500yds?

Sounds like somthing that ALOT smaller gun could do for way less fuss and way longer barrel life

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.