WANTED: 6.5x55 Mauser M96

huntokanogan

I am looking to buy a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 rifle. If anyone out there has one or knows where to get one please let me know. I would realy like a sporterized version. But would take a surpluss model too.

I have been looking for a deer rifle for my wife and had it narrowed to a .308, 7mm-08, .243 ect..
But a buddy came buy the other day with a 6.5x55 he bought from a guy for $125.00 that had been in his garage for 20 years! A little rough but sweet gun. A few rounds into it and I was sold.

There are a lot of model 38 swedes out there to be found in new or near new condition. I got one several years ago that was unfired. In complete service condition with the open sights that came from the factory in 1941, in about 45-50 rounds I have put through it, I have fired 3 3/4 -1 inch groups at 100 yards and all 3 shot groups I have shot with it have been under 2.5 inches. Now this is with a big wide blade front sight. no scope. I know I cannot hold any better than that at 100. the 2-2.5 inch groups were on cloudy days when it was harder to see the target at that range. I have not fired any reloads from it. It does the best with service style Wolf Gold 139 grain FMJ ammo. I recommend getting one. Far more accurate than I would have expected from any service rifle. And my personal favorite caliber.

Might check out the local pawn shops. I picked up this little jem from a pawn shop that called it an Argentine mauser, who am I to tell tham otherwise:D

Paulsonhunt07%20084.jpg

You might find one cheap from somebody that does not know what they have. There are no more on the main market cheap any more. They Run $350 to $450 for an average M-96 and the M-38 runs about $100 more in my neck of the woods. I have one 96/38 and four M-96 one is a sporter that I made out of a M-96 that someone had already started hacking on. THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE. They are worth far more in the military dress so don't hack up a military one please. They all shoot very well. I shoot vintage rifle bench rest matches and with my 96's they will easy hold 2" 10 shot groups at 100 yards. That is 10 consecutive shots. The first 5 or 6 will be inside 1" then the barrel starts to heat up and the groups start to open up. With the sporter I can safely (under 46,000 CUP) drive a 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip 3000 fps in the 29" barrel with a max charge of 46 grs AA 4350 and it is very accurate and it hammers deer. I can safely drive 140 Sierra or Hornady SP 2800 fps with a max load of AA 4350. They also will hammer deer.

Most 6.5 caliber rifles just plain are accurate. If you can find one there are a few commercial 6.5X55 . Ruger made some and I think Remington did. Tikki (SP?) makes one. I know that the Rem 700 in 260 Rem shoots just as good because my hunting buddy had one. Savage makes a 260 Rem caliber I am pretty sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.