Want to Build Ultimate Long range 300 WM Hunting Rifle Help

motrapper

This would be my first custom would like 12lbs or less completely setup.
Below are my thoughts but No first hand experience.
Want A Chassis System
Need 3.85 mag box or longer
26 inch Bartlein 5R Barrel maybe Carbon fiber 1-8 twist
Best Action possible without breaking several banks also Best Trigger group possible
Looking at a Mark 5HD 7x35 x56
All thoughts appreciated

Chassis are almost always fed by AICS mag boxes. Are the 300RUM or 338 Lapua boxes long enough?

Chassis are generally 4lbs or more. I think you will struggle to make weight with optic.

Bartlein is a good choice….probably a #2 - 3 to hit anywhere close to your weight target. Mine is a 3b, but I'm 2lbs heavier.

Take a look at the bighorn origin LA. Good action, but again, maybe too heavy. The Defiance AnTi would save some weight.

To me, Jewel HVR is your best bet, but many folks love the Triggertech Diamond.

Interesting optic choice….I'll let other smarter people comment on the optic.

I have to ask….why 300 WM?

The 300WM seated out can do everything any other 30 cal can do within 100 fps. Of course except for 300 rum, 30/378, and possibly the 300 Norma and Wild Cats, sure the Lazaroni and others Like it.
I want to shoot a lot and not burn a ton of powder with diminished return.

Lightest Bullet would be 200 grain Accubonds then 200 and 212 Eldx, 215 Berger to maybe the 250 A Tip
Hunting will be the end result but a ton of steel practicing to maybe a mile or more. Actual hunting Deer Elk etc... will be my max now of 600 yds and see what I can become proficient at. Then be Respectful of shooting an animal at whatever distance based on the conditions.

Last edited:
Lightest Bullet would be 200 grain Accubonds then 200 and 212 Eldx, 215 Berger to maybe the 250 A Tip
Hunting will be the end result but a ton of steel practicing to maybe a mile or more. Actual hunting Deer Elk etc... will be my max now of 600 yds and see what I can become proficient at. Then be Respectful of shooting an animal at whatever distance based on the conditions.
The .300 WM remains my go-to (I have 3 of them) chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY (personal limitation "I" set for my set-up). Any over 1KY, I would use my other rifles with more OOMPH.

Last edited:
I can never see myself shooting at a game animal over 1K.
To many variables and I am a better hunter than that and can close the distance to a ethical distance.
Now I have a lot of respect for Yotes and wolves woodchuck etc...
But I could stretch it out some more LOL

For twist rate, a 1:10-1:9 is plenty fast enough. You won't push the 250's fast enough in a winny.

As for action, budget friendly and loses nothing to top tier would be the kelbly atlas tac without a doubt. I have several top tiers and the kelbly is still one of the favourites!

For weight savings look at the nanook and antix though.

Barrel a carbon will sure save weight, so could always go #5/3b fluted as well.

Trigger I'm partial to the tt diamond. Jewels are super nice but I prefer the diamond.

Chassis are great but for weight your limited. The xlr magnesium is the lightest or the mdt hnt 26

The xlr magnesium is the lightest or the mdt hnt 26

The MDT line is one I have been investigating

I have been reading that faster twist does help with BC's at extended distances

You are going to pay a weight penalty as mentioned with the chassis. Why are you wanting a chassis system?

You seem to be on the right track otherwise.

My setup will look something like this:
  • AG Composites stock
  • Kelbly's Atlas Tactical receiver
  • Proof or Hells Canyon Armory Carbon Barrel 9 twist.
  • Hawkins CIP length M5 BM
  • Trigger Tech Diamond trigger
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25. Mirage is difficult at 25x, I can't imagine at 35x and 7 on the low end is unfavorable for me.
  • ARC Rings
  • Custom reamer to seat out to 3.650 or longer depending on Bullet choice. Personally I would throat mine for 215 Berger Hybrids and Ackley Improve the case.

Mdt 26 chassis
Defiance anti ( wish Tikka made a true long magnum action with long mags, I'd take that over ANY other)
Bartlein carbon 300 win mag chambered with a dummy round to fit the bullet you wish to use. Do a search for Broz reamer maybe.
1-9 24-28" whatever you can live with. I won't go past 24"myself cuz i hike up thru alder jungles and whatnot too often.
Aics mags to fit. Might have to go with Lapua , rum length. I don't know much about them.
Terminator or MBM Beast ti brake.
Trigger tech special trigger
Scopes
Night Force atacr 4-20x50 if your spending big.
Or budget bombproof scopes,
4.5 -18 Bushnell LRHS2 from GAP(they had new run made) been a great scope for me. Very good reticle and very useable on low power.
Or swfa 3x15 or 5x 20 mil quad. Awesome reticle and again, very solid scopes. Loosing zero is zero fun. The fixed 6x is fine for me to 800 yards. It's for steering bullets and does it wonderfully.
Warne 20 moa rail, pinned to action and bedded with epoxy.
Seekins rings, de-greese and loktite every screw.
Scope level

You are going to pay a weight penalty as mentioned with the chassis. Why are you wanting a chassis system?

You seem to be on the right track otherwise.

My setup will look something like this:
  • AG Composites stock Ok any links to some of theses options?
  • Kelbly's Atlas Tactical receiver I Like
  • Proof or Hells Canyon Armory Carbon Barrel 9 twist. Very Nice
  • Hawkins CIP length M5 BM YES
  • Trigger Tech Diamond trigger YES
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25. Mirage is difficult at 25x, I can't imagine at 35x and 7 on the low end is unfavorable for me. I have the 5x25x56 Love it!
  • ARC Rings I have the MDT Precision rings the are nice but spendy at almost $300.00 on my Mark 5HD 5x25
  • Custom reamer to seat out to 3.650 or longer depending on Bullet choice. Personally I would throat mine for 215 Berger Hybrids and Ackley Improve the case. I need to look into this More
  • AG Composites stock Ok any links to some of theses options?
  • Kelbly's Atlas Tactical receiver I Like
  • Proof or Hells Canyon Armory Carbon Barrel 9 twist. Very Nice
  • Hawkins CIP length M5 BM YES
  • Leupold Mark 5 5-25. Mirage is difficult at 25x, I can't imagine at 35x and 7 on the low end is unfavorable for me. I have the 5x25x56 Love it!
  • ARC Rings I have the MDT Precision rings the are nice but spendy at almost $300.00 on my Mark 5HD 5x25
  • Custom reamer to seat out to 3.650 or longer depending on Bullet choice. Personally I would throat mine for 215 Berger Hybrids and Ackley Improve the case. I need to look into this More

I can never see myself shooting at a game animal over 1K.
To many variables and I am a better hunter than that and can close the distance to a ethical distance.
Now I have a lot of respect for Yotes and wolves woodchuck etc...
But I could stretch it out some more LOL
That's why I ask because propelling a bullet to a 1760Y target is a big difference from hunting. And since you said ...

I want to shoot a lot and not burn a ton of powder with diminished return.

If you capped your powder capacity to that of a .300 WM, that is fine. But if your primary goal is to send projectiles to 1760Y, a .30-06 and its variants are capable to 3KY (repeatability is another story) with a lot less powder.

Good luck with your .300 WM project build.

My crack at chassis based 300WM I put together a few years ago. Turned out to be one of my most accurate, and easy to shoot LR rifles. This rifle is 13.5# with bipod(1 pound). With my lighter March 2.5x25x52 and mounts gets it closer to the 12 pound mark. The barreled action is a Rem.Mil-Spec R5, 24", 10Tw.
You can get another 1/2 pound weight savings with one of the custom actions, and the lighter weight carbon fiber barrel would easily get you below 12 pounds. The MPA Hybrid chassis weighs a bit over 3 pounds. Shown with an AICS 3 rd magazine.
687925D4-7A54-4A7B-A290-F2A7AB489483.jpegD8C56433-DF09-4633-9D98-1D28AC7F152F.jpeg