Wabbits?????????????

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well our main hunting season is over here in OK so it is time to play around. Me and BJ are planning a DIY backpack hunt for southern Wyoming for fall 07 for antelope and muley so we have been rounding up equipment. Or most recent purchases have been the Eberlestock packs we just became a dealer for.

Well this weekend I loaded up my pack to a carrying weight of just shy of 50lbs and headed out for a short hike, BJ was playin hookie due to "intestional issues". We live at around 1300' altitude and where we are hunting will be around 7000-8000' so we have been trying to get in shape.

The pack i am using is the Eberlestock Skycrane which i believe is their largest pack so it is around 15lbs empty but the storage is unbelievable. ANyway I took off hiking, playing around the new GPS system tryin to figure it out. After a couple of miles 2 cottontails bound out from under me and make the mistake of stopping just before the tree line. The little 10/22 barked a couple of times and I had dinner. After wearing a hell of blister on the back of my foot i headed back to the house to cook up my kill when it dawned on me that i havent ever cooked rabbit before!!!

I ended up cooking the rabbit in rice with mushroom gravy and all of it stuffed in a turkey bag in the oven at 350deg for jsut shy of 1 hr. It all tasted great but the rabbit was so tough that i **** near lost a tooth trying to rip it off the bone!!!

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to cook rabbit up, preferably some way other than frying it???

take it easy
steve

Boil it in salted water. Eat it that way or then fry it. I will usaully boil it up and then once it is cool put it in a sandwich baggie with more salt adn pepper and put it in the fridge. I then take the baggie to work as my lunch (I don't work anymore so I just eat it at home now). Make rabbit pot pie out of the shredded boiled meat if your prefer or any other recipe that requires shredded meat- put it in Cup O Noodle to add protien.

Heel blisters are caused by a boot that has too large a heel or else bad sock choice. I have what I call monkey feet - narrow heel, curved shape and splayed out toes.

Crockpot!

Save all wabbit tounges (freeze in sandwich size frezer bag) then when full, boil till tender use in Wabbit tongue stew! And no I never killed enough wabbits...got that from a cajun.

[ QUOTE ]
Well our main hunting season is over here in OK so it is time to play around. Me and BJ are planning a DIY backpack hunt for southern Wyoming for fall 07 for antelope and muley so we have been rounding up equipment. Or most recent purchases have been the Eberlestock packs we just became a dealer for.

Well this weekend I loaded up my pack to a carrying weight of just shy of 50lbs and headed out for a short hike, BJ was playin hookie due to "intestional issues". We live at around 1300' altitude and where we are hunting will be around 7000-8000' so we have been trying to get in shape.

The pack i am using is the Eberlestock Skycrane which i believe is their largest pack so it is around 15lbs empty but the storage is unbelievable. ANyway I took off hiking, playing around the new GPS system tryin to figure it out. After a couple of miles 2 cottontails bound out from under me and make the mistake of stopping just before the tree line. The little 10/22 barked a couple of times and I had dinner. After wearing a hell of blister on the back of my foot i headed back to the house to cook up my kill when it dawned on me that i havent ever cooked rabbit before!!!

I ended up cooking the rabbit in rice with mushroom gravy and all of it stuffed in a turkey bag in the oven at 350deg for jsut shy of 1 hr. It all tasted great but the rabbit was so tough that i **** near lost a tooth trying to rip it off the bone!!!

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to cook rabbit up, preferably some way other than frying it???

take it easy
steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi lerch,

The best way is:
after you remove the guts and the furr, punch the rabbit with a sharp knife and insert in the cut one piece of beacon and one of the garlic.
Do this one on every 1-2 inches.
In the stomach area, fill it with the beacon, carrot, and onion, then set it on the oven, with some oil and one glass of wine for 1,5hours at 350degree.
For time to time, just open the oven to be sure is properly cookt, and with a spoon , ad on top some oil form the bottom of the oven.
You can serve it with smash potateos.

Sorry for my spelling...
the reason to add beacon is because the rabbit meat is verry dried like chicken chest.

Cris

Moisten rabbit quarters in water and dredge in flour. Brown quarters in oil,about 5 min. per side. Drain oil, add water to cover rabbit. Add one onion chopped and 8oz. of tomato sauce. I like to throw in one jalapeno also. Simmer for 1-2 hours. Good eats.

15lbs?! Good grief...get a Kifaru Long Hunter or Long Hunter Hauler with the duffel bag. It's much better suited to what you will be doing. Except for the 'sniper mat', I really don't see what folks see in those packs and when you're in real mountains back a few miles and at altitude, you'll be wanting to cut every piece of crap you can off that thing to save weight. How is that thing designed to pack out an animal? Kifarus are made to haul critters with the cargo chair platform. Eberlestocks don't look like they are desinged for multiday backpack hunting to me, more like for playing sniper. Kifarus are custom made to fit your body and the owner has decades of experience making top tier mountaineering packs which are typically way better than anything I've seen supposedly designed for hunting. Kifaru is the only company I've seen so far that really combines a highly modern, technical suspension system backpack with a truly useful hunting design and does it well. Sorry for the rant. I just don't get the Eberlestock thing.

http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTM

http://www.kifaru.net/FREIGHTR.HTM

I agree with NYLES, the crockpot is the way to go. Scept I "brown" mine liike grandma used too. Skillet, little bit of bacon drippins. Lightly flour the rabbit pieces, brown in the skillet (2 or 3 minutes, just enough to make the breading stick good). Put in the crockpot with a medium chopped onion, a can of cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, garlic, and any other spices you like. cook on low a long time (6-8-10 hours). 1-2 hours before supper, put in some chopped potatoes and carrots if you like. makes a good stew. I cook lot's of wild game this way (rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, quail, dove, vennison} and my whole family likes it well. There is no written recipe for grandma's crockpot, you'll have to see how YOU like it. These are just some rough guidelines.
Blast some more wabbits and eat up!
Nick

Lerch, You need to build a cart for hauling camp in and game out. I made my own, because many of the comercial carts are poorly designed for mountain hunting. With the cart it's easier to move large loads. For example my brother and I hauled 4 chest coolers full of boned out elk, a cow and a bull. We moved them 2 miles in about 3 1/2 hours. If in packs it would have been about 3-4 trips taking a minimum of 8 hours. My cart uses a single wheel, which is off of a 125cc dirt bike. This tracks well and is great on 6 inch wide game trils. The cart at it's widest is about 2 feet. It also will double as a stretcher in case one of you takes a hard fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'll take some pics and e-mail to you.

Game carts are great. However, as they are a mechanized item, they are illegal in wilderness areas as I recall. Make sure of the regs in the area being hunted. Wilderness area regs are typically more stringent that nat'l or state forest regs.

[ QUOTE ]
15lbs?! Good grief...get a Kifaru Long Hunter or Long Hunter Hauler with the duffel bag. It's much better suited to what you will be doing. Except for the 'sniper mat', I really don't see what folks see in those packs and when you're in real mountains back a few miles and at altitude, you'll be wanting to cut every piece of crap you can off that thing to save weight. How is that thing designed to pack out an animal? Kifarus are made to haul critters with the cargo chair platform. Eberlestocks don't look like they are desinged for multiday backpack hunting to me, more like for playing sniper. Kifarus are custom made to fit your body and the owner has decades of experience making top tier mountaineering packs which are typically way better than anything I've seen supposedly designed for hunting. Kifaru is the only company I've seen so far that really combines a highly modern, technical suspension system backpack with a truly useful hunting design and does it well. Sorry for the rant. I just don't get the Eberlestock thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right. We'll see come October!!

What Lerch doesn't understand is that by being somewhat of a fat@$$, I'm already carrying around 20 extra #s. Now, when that melts off, I'll have a 20# headstart on him!! At least that's what I'm telling myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm already carrying around 20 extra #s. Now, when that melts off, I'll have a 20# headstart on him!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yah, but remember, if all of the pics we've seen are in true perspective, you'll be taking about twice as many steps as he will so you'll need the advantage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.