vx5 hd leupold

chev4x4s1975

I'm looking at the vx5 hd 3-15x44 for my new calling riffle I think these scopes have better glass than the vortex gen2 pst the thing I'm not so sure on is that the max power is only 15 most shots are from gonna be from 100-700 yards and possibly the 1000 yard shots just don't want to buy something and not be happy any help would be great

I just bought a Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag & I am putting a Leupold 5 on it. If I like the scope as much as my other Leupold's, I am selling the Burris XTR II that is on my other 300 Win Mag. Let us know how you like it!!!
Thanks, Kirk

I also been looking at the VX-5HD 3X15-50 vs. Sightron III 6X24-50
Both have been getting great reveiws! Might have to flip a coin!

Get the Leupold! I have 3 of the VX-6s with the ZL2 turrets, tracking and glass is flawless. The VX-5 and VX-6 series are hard to beat.
If anyone is looking I may be letting a VX-5 HD 3-15x44 CDS ZL2 go as I have 3 VX-6 models and need to recoup some $.

I just put the VX5HD 3-15x56 on my
New bergara b14 hunter in 6.5 creed. Low light is amazing, scope is really light for something in 56mm. Went with the standard duplex reticle and firedot. I was a little unsure about the firedot reticle but I honestly think it was brilliant of leupold.

I haven't had it out to any distance yet but I was thinking the same thing as you about out to 1000-1200 yards. I read some guys on here didn't mind the 15 power at that distance. I shot my vortex HST 6-24 at 16 power to compare before I bought and it wasn't bad.

And I picked the scope up new for $850

I also been looking at the VX-5HD 3X15-50 vs. Sightron III 6X24-50
Both have been getting great reveiws! Might have to flip a coin!

I would go with the Sightron. Will never have to worry about tracking issues. I have a leupold VX6 also and it has already been back to factory for tracking issues.

Last edited:
I guess I've been lucky...I have had zero issues with my Leupolds (1 Mark6, 2 LRPs, and now a mark 5) all have tracked as expected and glass is better than most. My favorite scope is the bushnell LRHS 4.5x18...but my LRP FFP 6.5x20 is just a good scope--and I picked it up new for $775--almost half the cost---

I have not used the Mark 5--but it's another level...

I would avoid Sightron, had an siii turret break internally and customer service would not stand behind it.
Nothing but success with the vx6 leupold that I have, never a single issue with tracking.
You might be a little unhappy with only 15x magnification, I consider 18x a minimum after having a 16 power scope.
My vx 6 is a 3-18x50 and it's great out to 1200 yards at max power.

I would avoid Sightron, had an siii turret break internally and customer service would not stand behind it.

Did Sightron provide an explanation for refusing warranty coverage? I own 3 of them so that's concerning. Never heard of Leupold refusing warranty coverage.

Nothing but success with the vx6 leupold that I have, never a single issue with tracking.
You might be a little unhappy with only 15x magnification, I consider 18x a minimum after having a 16 power scope.
My vx 6 is a 3-18x50 and it's great out to 1200 yards at max power.

It used to be a direct replacement from the retail location of purchase with Sightron. Not so much anymore I guess.

Did Sightron provide an explanation for refusing warranty coverage? I own 3 of them so that's concerning. Never heard of Leupold refusing warranty coverage.
Yeah they said the turret broke internally from extreme force like it was dropped..
Totally not the case, I had the scope for a few months at that time and never so much as bumped it. The manager I spoke with called me a liar and refused to cover the repair.
I was extremely unhappy with that company to say the least.
This happened about 5 years ago so I have no idea if they still treat customers like that.. I will never use their scopes again though

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.