VX3 or VX3LR???

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by eferry, Jun 26, 2010.

1. eferry

eferry Active Member

I have a 300 ultra mag. I have a Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 50 with M1 Turrets on order @ the custom shop...With that being said, should I have paid the extra $ and purchased a 4.5 - 14 x 50LR instead???

95% on my shooting and hunting will be done withing 500 yards.
    I like having the ability to get out to 1000 yards whenever I have a chance, but it going to be rare.

Is the LR worth it?

2. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

How much was the VX-3 with the M1 Turrets?

3. eferry

eferry Active Member

I had my name engraved on it, swapped the reticle to a Leupold Dot, added M1 Elevation and M1 Windage Turrets. Total Damage including shipping was $879.00. Should I upgrade to the LR version? I want your thoughts...

gun)

4. Firecat

Firecat Well-Known Member

The new VX-3 LR has been upgraded within the last year. They now feature dual elevation springs for extra precision and strength. If it were me and I were spending this kind of money i would go with the LR Version. The LR version also has a side focus. I think that you should go with the VX-IIILR. They also have a 30mm tube.

5. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

I would go with the LR.

6. carpetman2

carpetman2 Well-Known Member

I did go with the LR and I am not at all disappointed I did so. That being said, if you already own it, I would probably try it out for a year or two and see if you really feel it's not up to your needs.
    Chrisgun)