Vortex viper pst gen ii vs vortex razor gen 1 vs similar priced optics

Blaketh

looking for 2 new scopes. Thought I had it figured out until the sold out, had my heart set on 2 eotech vudu 5-25x50 mrd3 but they sold out. Now I find myself comparing the viper pst gen ii against the gen 1 razor. Will be putting these on a 257 bee and a 300 win mag. Used for hunting and probably some target shooting. Wanted something lighter which is why I was thinking about eotech but I hesitated bc I was unsure of the glass clarity. Here I am, help me out. A side note I don't like Leopold optics I think they are gimmicky and over priced for what you get.

For the money, you cant beat the gen2 viper... the razor is a little clearer but not much, and it has more travel due to the larger diameter of the tube. Are you looking at moa or mil?

I would not put another Vortex on a rifle if you gave it to me. you need to re-think Leupold scopes.
they are amazing and they truly stand behind their products.
I keep seeing issues on reviews of the tracking not being great. If I want a ffp and illuminated reticle I basically have to buy the vx5 or 6. I am open to other suggestions. I did pull the trigger on the genii razor 4.5-27 boat anchors. I will see if they end up being too heavy. There isn't any stores around where I can pick up and feel them which sucks. Burris is a def no as well.

I have a gen II razor 4.5-27 also,you're right about boat anchor. I now have 3 gen II viper pst (2ffp,1sfp)I feel like they are a very good value but to my eyes quite a bit below the gen II razor. I've never looked through a gen I razor so no comment on that. I also have a Zeiss V4 (sfp)that I think was not much more than the normal price on the gen II vipers (ffp) ,to me it is much better than they are image wise. There are good deals to be had on "demos" V4 if sfp would work. I do agree with Catahoula on not dismissing Leupold, I have a VX5HD that for hunting I'll take over the vipers every time. Just bought a VX6HD that I've yet to mount but just handling it I like it.

I'm sure the Razor Gen ii is nice, but what "Hunting" rifle does a 3lb scope go on....in that price range, I would be looking at a Leupold Mark 5 3-18 or 5-25.

I'm sure the Razor Gen ii is nice, but what "Hunting" rifle does a 3lb scope go on....in that price range, I would be looking at a Leupold Mark 5 3-18 or 5-25.
I looked at leupolds again to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Is the vx series not the same as the mark series? I looked at vx5 and vx6s vx 6 got a little pricey as I could get a razor amg for that price with a warranty.

VX and Mark series are not the same. VX are more geared towards hunting (lower profile turrets, reticles, lighter) and the Mark are more target shooting (IMHO). I think you'll find with Leupolds people are polar opposite. Some people hate them, some love them. The last 4 scopes I've bought have all been Leupolds of the VX kind. I've had to send one back (VX-6HD), but I had it back repaired within a week. So far I love them all.
If you're looking at Vortex what about the newer LHT? Not sure it's FFP though?

VX and Mark series are not the same. VX are more geared towards hunting (lower profile turrets, reticles, lighter) and the Mark are more target shooting (IMHO). I think you'll find with Leupolds people are polar opposite. Some people hate them, some love them. The last 4 scopes I've bought have all been Leupolds of the VX kind. I've had to send one back (VX-6HD), but I had it back repaired within a week. So far I love them all.
If you're looking at Vortex what about the newer LHT? Not sure it's FFP though?
Correct the lht is sfp. I purchased 2 of the gen ii razors and will see how they go. I was dragging my feet and missed out on a sale of the eotech vudu 5-25x50 ffp's at 29 ounces I shoulda grabbed them but I was hesitant on the quality. They were about $500 their price.

My vote would be the Zeiss V4, if you're with SFP. I know they just coming out with a new feature of a locking windage turret instead of being capped. IMO, you can't beat Zeiss glass, especially in the higher end models.

I would also look at the Tract Toric (I have a few), they're $750 ish for the hunting version, lighter and better than the PSTII for glass. 3-15 is all anyone should need for hunting. I had a Vortex LHT 3-15 and liked it except the power ring was very hard to turn. Sold it. My next scope will likely be a Leupold MK5 HD 5-25. As stated earlier, Zeiss demo scopes can be had fairly inexpensively, Red Hawk Rifles usually has several on sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.