Vortex Viper model differences

rickdavis81

I have a 4-16 pst on my 308 and love it. But I'm looking for a scope for my 7RM and don't want the illuminated reticle and don't want an overly large profile size scope. I'm looking at the Viper PA 6.5-20x50. Would I notice a difference reliability wise or glass wise between the PA or one of the HS models?

I have a 4-16 pst on my 308 and love it. But I'm looking for a scope for my 7RM and don't want the illuminated reticle and don't want an overly large profile size scope. I'm looking at the Viper PA 6.5-20x50. Would I notice a difference reliability wise or glass wise between the PA or one of the HS models?

Glass and reliability are the same. The features are what is different.

There is a difference in glass between the viper and the viper PST (the viper PA is not a HS model). Sunds to me like you are looking for is one of the viper HS models, for example the HS-T is a 4-16 with what is supposed to be the same glass as the PST without illumination and has a smaller 44mm objective

Apparently not, I recall when the HS line came out it was touted as having the same glass as the PST line that was an upgrade from the standard viper line.
In my personal experience with Vortex optics having a 6.5-20 Viper, 4-16 HST, 4-16 PST and 6-24 PST can tell you from looking through them at a standard resolution chart that the Viper does not hold up to the PST. YMMV

I don't think I want the 1/2 moa adjustment that the LR offers with my other scopes being 1/4. Just one more thing to remember. And I think I want more magnification than the 4-16. I think I'll look into the HS-T 6-24x50. I like the idea of the elevation knob being exposed but not the windage since I hold for windage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts