vortex scopes

I have 4 Vortex Viper scopes (1 HS, 3 HS-T), and plan on more in the future to replace some older or less expensive optics on some of my rifles. I also have a Vortex Solo R/T monocular, and a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 spotting scope. For the money, it is (IMO) very hard to beat their products. Especially with their lifetime VIP warranty.

I also have some high-end optics as well...Several Zeiss Conquest scopes, and a Kahles Helia KX scope. While the Kahles is up there with the Swarovski's in glass and lens coating quality, they compare very well next to the Zeiss Conquest scopes that retailed for around $1,000 or more.

This is just my experience. Other's may vary.

I had 3 of the 5 vortex scopes I bought all vortex viper PST's in 4-16x or 6-20x fail me so I won't be buying anymore of them.

Their customer service people were great and quickly repaired or replaced each of them but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a scope I can't rely on.

In general I'd warn you that in a short range situation which can pop up for any of us on a hunt 6x at the bottom can quickly be way too much scope.

I've settled back on keeping all of my scopes in the 3.5-14x or 4-20x range so I have that lower power at the bottom when needed.

I still own a couple of 6.5-20 Leupolds and one 8.5-25 but I accept that if I'm ever in a short range situation when I have one of those atop whatever I'm shooting I'm going to be in a real pickle.

i do love the razor line and own a 4.5-27. ive shot through the pst a few times and its really decent for the money, and for the range, but i feel they crammed too many features into a scope for under 1k. the upper magnification levels aren't very clear imo. the 12-16 range on the 4-16 is pretty hazy . id imagine the upper level on the 6-24 is similar . for the range you cant beat them , but for true long range shooting i would go with something with better glass/ less features iif your budgeting for in that same price range.

unfortunately when you get upper end glass , your cursed for life

I had 3 of the 5 vortex scopes I bought all vortex viper PST's in 4-16x or 6-20x fail me so I won't be buying anymore of them.

Their customer service people were great and quickly repaired or replaced each of them but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a scope I can't rely on.

Were these scopes mounted on rifles with muzzle brakes? Caliber/cartridge of the rifles?

I too have had good luck with a viper hs-t 4-16x44. I like the thin reticle, clarity, and the dials are pretty accurate. I am not super impressed with the pst's, they don't seem to be much better than the hst for almost double the price. I was looking to upgrade but to get to the next tier it will cost $1500+ for a noticeable difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.