Vortex Razor LH HD or Leupold VX-5 HD??

CarbonLead

I have gotten some great input and feedback from the people here on my previous posts about scope selection. I'm looking to get a scope for my 7 mm Remington Magnum and I think I have narrowed it down to the VX5 HD or the Razor LH HD both in the 15 power magnification. I will use the set up for long-range shots for target shooting and hunting. The type of hunting will be backpacking in having the rifle in the scabbard on my pack. So length weight and turret height are some things that brought me to these 2 options as well as the a price tag that won't force me to sell my kidney on the black market to be able to afford it. My main concerns are the clarity and sharpness of the glass and the tracking and repeatability of the turrets as well as toughness. I will say thanks I had a time for the input!

I have had quite a few Leupolds in the past, but these days strongly prefer the Vortex scopes over the Leupolds. You just get more for your money, IMO.

I have gotten some great input and feedback from the people here on my previous posts about scope selection. I'm looking to get a scope for my 7 mm Remington Magnum and I think I have narrowed it down to the VX5 HD or the Razor LH HD both in the 15 power magnification. I will use the set up for long-range shots for target shooting and hunting. The type of hunting will be backpacking in having the rifle in the scabbard on my pack. So length weight and turret height are some things that brought me to these 2 options as well as the a price tag that won't force me to sell my kidney on the black market to be able to afford it. My main concerns are the clarity and sharpness of the glass and the tracking and repeatability of the turrets as well as toughness. I will say thanks I had a time for the input!

Last edited:
When you talk about leopuld or vortex still you talk about big bucks....i personally used a vortex before... really didn't liked the reticule. mill dot in my case... honestly the holdover is something tha every good shooter should know.. the versatility you are demanding to your future scope ......( to continue )..QUOTE]

Last edited:
is something that doesn't let you the chance to "guess" sometimes especially hunting we don't have second chance. now. depends on the distance you shoot i don't see why you shouldn't check for a Bushnell doa 600 or 800 or a very economical but well used and tested cabelas Covenant..with the Christmas tree that able you to shoot at 1000yards..(6x24 50 mm in 30mm tubes and first focal plane) optic is good very clear and guaranteed for life like vortex.. plus ... more magnification... and is SI cheap that u can change it every year..lol

Last edited:
I can't speak to the VX 5 but I have several VX-6 and VX-7's and I couldn't be happier with them.

I think for the money you'd be hard pressed to do better than the VX 6 in either 3-18x50 or 4-24x52. If I could afford to do so I'd get rid of everything else except the VX7's and replace them all with the above two VX 6's.

I have the 4-16 vortex razor lh and I love it!! only thing I would like changed is field of view, it seems smaller than the leupy but I never had them side by side. the top turret is pretty tall but you can put stops in so you can always find your zero

I have a vortex lh hd in 4-16x42 slightly used if interested. It was mounted and sighted in on a gun I ended up selling to a buddy. Great scope barely used just don't need it.

yes sorry, I went an looked at the box viper hs lr 4x16. And they do have a BDC recital, they call it the dead-hold BDC and it works pretty well mind you it will only get you close not on but, none of them will get you on at all ranges. It does have a zero stop and it works ok, its just a bunch of brass plates you put under the top turret. Its what is on my gun in my avatar. low rings/nightforce rail

i have the razor lh in 3-15 and really like it. the glass is super clear and so far repeatable out to 700 yards when dialing. although its not really designed for dialing shots. the holdover reticle does work well. i have no experience with the leupold