Vortex Razor HD Gen II 3-18x50mm on a hunting rifle?

TBHShane

Question for you guys....

Is this 3lb. scope too bulky for a Remington 700 7mag hunting rifle? Who hunts with one?

I would be using it to hunt mule deer and aoudad in the canyons of West Texas, so not backpacking in to high altitude sheep country. I carry a pack and climb up and down some rough country, but it's not high altitude. The weight isn't really an issue for me in just carrying the rifle around. My main question is whether that heavy of a scope on a 700 would make the rig too top heavy for comfortable shooting in hunting situations (shooting off of shooting sticks, laying across my pack, resting on a rock, etc....).

Aside from the bulk, I like everything I read about the scope.

I think the weight is the only down side to this scope. Otherwise it's a nice optic.

What is your current hunting rifle/scope? How much does it weigh?

Current scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50mm MC with mildot reticle. I used it for a 400 yard shot on this muley in 2014.

Mule%20Deer%20Hunt%202014-5107-L.jpg

My son used it on a nice muley and whitetail this year.

Zach%27s%20Mule%20Deer%202015-2141-L.jpg

Zach%27s%20Big%20Whitetail%201-3-2016-2198-L.jpg

It's a great scope. I'm planning to put it on my son's .25-06 though, so I'm shopping for a new one for me. I want to be able to dial turrets and use some sort of milling (or moa) reticle for windage or other hold-offs when I don't have time to dial turrets. I want high quality optics and good low light clarity. The Razor HD Gen II is everything I want, but I've never had a scope that heavy before. I don't think it would be a problem, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who is actually using it on their hunting rifle.

Yeah, I saw that. If it had a 50mm objective I'd be looking even harder at it. I'm willing to lug a little more weight to get better vision in those precious first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes of shooting light.

I stated this in another thread, but I have not experienced loss of light w/ a scope during legal shooting hours using 40mm objective on 1".

I have a nikon omega 1" 40mm that I know I can use well after those 5mins expire. I could've shot a doe at 40yds using that scope, I could not see her at all w/ the naked eye.

Edit.. this was also at the bottom of a wooded creek bed. Throw a little snow on the ground I could easily hunt all night.

I stated this in another thread, but I have not experienced loss of light w/ a scope during legal shooting hours using 40mm objective on 1".

I have a nikon omega 1" 40mm that I know I can use well after those 5mins expire. I could've shot a doe at 40yds using that scope, I could not see her at all w/ the naked eye.

Edit.. this was also at the bottom of a wooded creek bed. Throw a little snow on the ground I could easily hunt all night.

I hear you. There's a difference between being able to see well enough to place a good shot and seeing well enough to judge age and/or count points, etc.... Where I hunt, we try to shoot only mature bucks. If I can see clearly through my scope rather than going back and forth between scope and spotting scope or binoculars, sometimes that can make the difference on being able to take a shot before the animal is gone. Most days a 40mm scope of high quality would be all you need. Every now and then at dawn or dusk on a dark, rainy or snowy day with an animal down in the bottom of a dark canyon you need all the light you can get.

It's all a compromise. Do you want lighter scopes that will be all you need 99% of the time, or are you willing to spend more and/or carry more weight for the scope that will give you the view you need 100% of the time? There's no single right answer to that question. I'm gonna try the big heavy scope this time.

I had a browining xbolt stainless stalker 7mm rem mag with the razor gen 1 5.5-20x50 and although a little heavy for hunting....optical performance and clarity was superb...i didnt mind the extra weight ..and yes i hicked lots with it

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts