Vortex Diamondback quality???

Hespco

I have predominantly Leupold scopes, but am looking at a Vortex HP 4x16x42 BDC retical 1" scope. Midway list this scope as item 373744 ( Vortex DBK-10019 ) for $359.99. Looking for feed back from real users. Also Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 30mm tube. Midway list this scope as item # 940396 ( Vortex # DBK-10026 ) for $349.99. Are they any good, if so which one would you pick? It will be going on my Win 70 EW 264 mag.

Well I shoot a Vortex Diamondback that is the 3-9x40 version of the Vortex HP 4x16x42 BDC you mention above.
It has been a good scope and has help zero well on a Browning 7 Rem Mag that is about the same weight as the Winchester. It is not meant to be a long range rifle for me though. More like a 300 yard max for me.
Personally I would try to stay away from a BDC reticle. If you plan on shooting longer than say 400~500 yards, they just become hard to use. If you plan on target shooting at longer distances you will out grow the BDC reticle quickly.

IMO, the Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 30mm tube would be a wiser choice. the First Focal Plan with MOA reticle will take you to 1000 yards pretty easily and be way more precise than a BDC reticle.

The only catch on the tactical one is that a FFP reticle can get difficult to see in low light on the lowest power of the scope and the tactical above does have an illuminated reticle to counter that. Think dark woods in late evening.

So which is best depends on the intended use. If hunting open country with a 264 Win Mag and shooting beyond 300 yards, it's the tactical one all the way.

Here's another option that has popped up lately to explore. It's the ARKEN OPTICS SH-4 4-14X44 FFP. I have not personally seen this scope but it has been getting very good reviews on Youtube from a couple of well respected long range shooters and reviewers. It has better features than the Vortex Tactical above and may well be a better scope. It is "Made in China" though. The intro price for it is hard to beat though. Here's the link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBT8BZC/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

You may wish to consider the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 - APLR2 FFP IR M
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...9fc1-0135-0394-00163ecd2826?variation=1622702

The Talos BTR4-14×44 Model has APLR2 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it. This is a great option for under $300.00

FEATURES
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Aircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining fogproof and waterproof.

Thank you Sir. Your info is for sure helpful. Much appreciated. The overwhelming amount of elk & deer taken by me for many years has been under 200yds. Some years under 100 as this year my elk was at 80 yds. & my buck about the same. Most years I take my deer & elk around 150 yo 200. I have my own shooting range with my max target at 522yds. This would be the absolute max I would shoot. There has been a couple of times where I actually took game around 300yds. My main concern on the Vortex scope was to quality & clarity. Again thanks.

Ive got 2 diamondback HP 4x16x42 bdc scopes traded for them both , both have been very good ,mostly living on 223,243&708 . Shoot my best groups with my 708 at 300 &625 yds with the above scope sitting on top ,with the semi-custom factory 223 I was shooting gray n red squirrels from 150 to 225 yds out , I like the hold over lines & I like nikons bdc circles also , they just work So no Appolidges ,plus I can't afford Top tier glass on every rifle I'm scope poor lol ,cheers

I also have 2, one on a 270 and one on a 6.5 creed. I really like both scopes, both are bdc if you keep digging you can catch them in the $250 range. Best wishes

I have predominantly Leupold scopes, but am looking at a Vortex HP 4x16x42 BDC retical 1" scope. Midway list this scope as item 373744 ( Vortex DBK-10019 ) for $359.99. Looking for feed back from real users. Also Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 30mm tube. Midway list this scope as item # 940396 ( Vortex # DBK-10026 ) for $349.99. Are they any good, if so which one would you pick? It will be going on my Win 70 EW 264 mag.
I have owned 3 of the 4-16x42 Diamondback HPs. They are awesome scopes for the money.

Well I shoot a Vortex Diamondback that is the 3-9x40 version of the Vortex HP 4x16x42 BDC you mention above.
It has been a good scope and has help zero well on a Browning 7 Rem Mag that is about the same weight as the Winchester. It is not meant to be a long range rifle for me though. More like a 300 yard max for me.
Personally I would try to stay away from a BDC reticle. If you plan on shooting longer than say 400~500 yards, they just become hard to use. If you plan on target shooting at longer distances you will out grow the BDC reticle quickly.

IMO, the Diamondback Tactical 4x16x44 30mm tube would be a wiser choice. the First Focal Plan with MOA reticle will take you to 1000 yards pretty easily and be way more precise than a BDC reticle.

The only catch on the tactical one is that a FFP reticle can get difficult to see in low light on the lowest power of the scope and the tactical above does have an illuminated reticle to counter that. Think dark woods in late evening.

So which is best depends on the intended use. If hunting open country with a 264 Win Mag and shooting beyond 300 yards, it's the tactical one all the way.

Here's another option that has popped up lately to explore. It's the ARKEN OPTICS SH-4 4-14X44 FFP. I have not personally seen this scope but it has been getting very good reviews on Youtube from a couple of well respected long range shooters and reviewers. It has better features than the Vortex Tactical above and may well be a better scope. It is "Made in China" though. The intro price for it is hard to beat though. Here's the link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBT8BZC/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
I've been wanting to ask someone who has one of the original diamondbacks. Are they made in the Philippines? I know the tactical diamondback is made in China. I remember looking thru a original diamondback and it was very clear and seemed well made.

I have predominantly Leupold scopes, but am looking at a Vortex ...

IMO, a downgrade, unless you go for the higher end Vortex.

If you have to have the BDC reticle, Leupold can fit one for you for the model you choose.

Last time I went shopping for a scope, I took my VX1 3-9 along, and did a side by side with all the mid range scopes in the store. The VX1 sight picture was better. I looked through a lot of scopes that day and the next. I ended up buying what is considered a higher end Vixen Artes scope, that I was satisfied had as good a sight picture as the glass quality of the old Leupold.

To clarify , was shopping for a scope with exposed turrets, having at least 70 total MOA . I just used the Leupold to compare the clarity.

Last edited:
The original diamondback I have is a solid scope in terms of durability. It is on my main 22 which I used chasing sq and coon dogs through the woods. However, the glass just isn't that bright or crisp. I have been told the HP versions are better in the glass department. If they maintained the durability and improved the glass, I would say they are a decent scope for the price. If it were my money though, I would def look at Athlon in that price range.

The original diamondback I have is a solid scope in terms of durability. It is on my main 22 which I used chasing sq and coon dogs through the woods. However, the glass just isn't that bright or crisp. I have been told the HP versions are better in the glass department. If they maintained the durability and improved the glass, I would say they are a decent scope for the price. If it were my money though, I would def look at Athlon in that price range.
I agree, I have 2 Vortex Diamondbacks and the clarity just isn't there. Called Vortex customer service and they basically told me I should have have bought a higher end model. I won't by another Vortex product.