VLD seating depth poll

I do not jam any bullets in any hunting rifles. Learned my lesson.

I shoot 105 Berger VLD's in 6mmBR and Dasher single shot competition rifles, jammed .020"; and 80 gr. Berger VLD's in .223 at .010" jam. I am shooting 500 meter groundhog matches, and most of our competitors feel the VLD must be jammed between .010 - .030". I have tried jumping back to .040" and they did not shoot well.

Worth watching when seating bergers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoO4jJSQD0I]Seating Depths Berger bullets - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SIZ_gnHBFw]Consistent Bullet Depth Seating - YouTube[/ame]

I went with the Bergers because some very trusted long range target/hunting guys I know swear "The Bergers are the only bullets that consistently will hold the needed accuracy past 800yds". They also say the Berger is not the best bullet for on game performance, but the benefit for long range outweighs the negatives. Since I am going for 1000 or more yards...well I'm going with those who know.

Noticed the same thing with my Berger 190 VLD's I was working up a load for. My OAL's were varying up to 4k, but most were 1-3K different. There is/was no way I am going to buy 500 bullets to find 100 to test, and then another 1000 to find enough to shoot. My cartridges have to fit in the magazine also, so for me it is as much about OAL as when the OGIVE engages the rifleing.

These are hunting/practice rounds for me and I don't have the money to be able to sort out exactly matching bullets. If I get the accuracy I want with the bullets I want as they come out of the box then I use them. If not then I change bullets.
For me it all comes down to what I can afford that gives me enough accuracy. For me the Bergers are no more accurate then Noslers at 100yds. Soon enough I will see how they are past 500.

Best performance at 350 yds or more. None group well at 100 to 200yd.

7mm Rem Mag, Berger 168 VLD, .025" off the lands. All measured at the ogive w/ Hornady bullet comparator. Best groups are 1/4 MOA.

7mm Rem Mag, Berger 180 VLD, .005 off the lands... Any more leade and the target looks like buckshot. But at .005 or less shoots the best groups of all mentioned here.

7mm Rem Mag, Berger 140 VLD, .020 off the lands... Shoots 1/4 MOA but its not easy. This rifle likes the heavy bullets.

30-06, Factory barrel, Berger 168 VLD, .150 off the lands. Doesn't like to be any closer (Not accurate and pressure signs) and I'm going to try .170 and .200 later this summer.

What is your most accurate seating depths using Berger VLD's? Please list you caliber, bullet weight, and where you seat the vld in relation to your lans. I go first!

7 WSM 180 VLD. Most accurate seating depths are .010 and .051 off the lans. .....025 aint bad either.

7 mag, 168 VLD, .040 off.
270 win. 140 VLD , jam. ( lightly)

7 mag accuracy .25 at 200
270 accuracy, .3's at 100, .7's at 200.
7 mag is MORE accurate at 200 and beyond with this bullet.

7mm rm 168 .10 in lands shoots 2950 @ .7 to .5 if I do my part! Pic is first time @1000

Attachments

• 0585ca6c.jpg
    0585ca6c.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 159
Cooper 52 and savage LRH, both 6.5x284. 140 Hunting VLDs seated at .070"-.075" for both rifles. Velocities: 2990-Cooper, 2941-Savage

Savage LRP in 260. 140 Target VLD's seated at the lands. Velocity 2820.

All three rifles shoot .25MOA or better.

i am getting quite a few email questions. Here is a more comprehensive explanation about sorting bullets so that the seating depth is consistent every time despite variations in the bullet ogive. I use Berger 180 grain VLDs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etgIVSSl8L8&context=C4b526eeADvjVQa1PpcFP_i_Vvz2MCE0D1JuhFpsGUZc4YBpNTNzo=]CONSISTENT BULLET DEPTH SEATING - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts