Veterans Disarmament Act

Nomad

As of 1,8, 08 this H.R.2640 was signed into law effecting 1/3 of our veterans.
H.R. 2640 and S 2084 these effect our veterans from Viet Nam to present
and our Second Amendments rights.
Go read at White House.gov, Thomas.gov, CNN.com and do a search of your
own and pass on what you have learn.
Call our reps in DC is a choice as well find out how they voted and why..
This may effect more than just you and your rights....

I don't like the way the law was passed, and I don't like some of the language used, and I can see where it will be a possible way to block firearm ownership to many who don't deserve it.

I have read H.R.2640.
It will not effect 1/3 of the veterans, it does changes things for those found to be mentally incompetent, just because you were seen for PTSD isn't enough for them to invoke the law. The law has ways to get your name cleared at no cost to you if it is placed on the list erroneously or if you are found to be cured. Of course this means the rights of some will be held hostage and that is wrong. I don't think this law will stop any crazy people from doing insane things with a gun it will only take away guns from people that are sane enough to follow the law.

I don't like the fact it puts so much power in the hands of doctors in deciding who is incompetent and who is cured, I'm sure they will have to follow some written standard but I think their should be a legal procedure where the proof of incompetence is proven to a very high standard, and not left to people like the AMA which is so decidedly anti gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.