Very limited 6.5 PRC ammo currently

Litehiker

So far Hornady is the only 6.5 PRC ammo producer. :eek:(

But then it's their brainchild so having only 147 gr, ELD-M (Match) and 143 ELD-X (Precision Hunter) ammo available is to be expected I guess.

When I get some Redding Precision dies I'll try their new 153 gr. A-Tip bullets. I think our local steel "varmint" competition is slow paced enough to permit me to let my skinny Browning X-Bolt Pro barrel to cool between relays.

We now shoot to 1,095 yards so those A-Tip bullets may be better in our finicky cross/up/down and swirling winds. Hopefully Hornady can produce a tip that will follow a laser beam. I mean that would certainly increase the importance of a spotter!

So, what company will follow Hornady with 6.5 PRC ammo? Will we have to wait two years?

Eric B.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for ALPHA Munitions (Salt Lake City) to produce 6.5 PRC brass as I feel they have excellent quality control, especially in the weight & capacity uniformity of their cases.
I'll pay the premium price on my route to maximize the accuracy potential of this cartridge. Then I guess I'll have to invest in some kind of annealing setup.

Eric B.

So far Hornady is the only 6.5 PRC ammo producer. :eek:(

But then it's their brainchild so having only 147 gr, ELD-M (Match) and 143 ELD-X (Precision Hunter) ammo available is to be expected I guess.

When I get some Redding Precision dies I'll try their new 153 gr. A-Tip bullets. I think our local steel "varmint" competition is slow paced enough to permit me to let my skinny Browning X-Bolt Pro barrel to cool between relays.

We now shoot to 1,095 yards so those A-Tip bullets may be better in our finicky cross/up/down and swirling winds. Hopefully Hornady can produce a tip that will follow a laser beam. I mean that would certainly increase the importance of a spotter!

So, what company will follow Hornady with 6.5 PRC ammo? Will we have to wait two years?

Eric B.
Availability of ammo and brass is the only thing keeping me from selling my 260 rem and rolling with the 6.5 prc. My guess is federal will step up - nosler got behind the 6.5x284, which is the PRC's direct competitor, so I doubt they will back the prc.

Yeah, Nosler backed a good cartridge but once the Hornady bulldozer gets going the 6.5 Nosler ammo may become a collector's item. Hope not as that's a great round.

Eric B.

I'm waiting for ALPHA Munitions (Salt Lake City) to produce 6.5 PRC brass as I feel they have excellent quality control, especially in the weight & capacity uniformity of their cases.
I'll pay the premium price on my route to maximize the accuracy potential of this cartridge. Then I guess I'll have to invest in some kind of annealing setup.

Eric B.
Annealing is very easy and cheap. A small butane torch works great and after 7 or 8 of heat tip brass into bicket of water. YouTube it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.