Vertical stringing

. noticing that the action screws were pretty loose)

Depending on how loose these were, this definitely could lead to your initial stringing. Did you check your scope ring and mount screws as well? 3" is worse than I would expect from most all factory bolt guns - if you can definitively rule out shooter error I would take a hard look for something loose or broken in your optics or mounts.

Something is loose or your scope may have a problem. You could also use a better rest.

Well, I wont claim to be the best shot in the world, I am still new to this after all, but I was trying to be very conscious of all the basics. I'll go through the rifle to see if there's anything loose, at this point it would have to be something on the scope or mounts.

I recently had the same problem with my 300 win mag browning a-bolt, after adding a bipod I found that when levelling ny reticals the barrel would touch the stock. After opening up the stock the problem away. Try setting up your rifle the way u normally shoot and get someone to work a peice of paper while u torque the rifle left and right to see if it contacts the stock when u adjust it

I have a Savage 112 BVSS that also strings them vertically. I have found that this rifle is very sensitive to action torque values and extreme spreads in my loads. This rifle will shoot really good groups when everything is right. My brass prep and loading techniques must be on the money to keep my ES's low. It is amazing that I have practically no horizontal dispersion with this rifle, just vertical. A 1 grain change in powder charge will result in about 1.5 inch shift vertically!

Boozer, I believe a blind drunk with Tourette Syndrome could group under 3" when shooting a half way decent rifle. Although the right rests are imperative, I would think that you have an equipment issue--either bad optics or a bad barrel. Is there any chance you could take a buddy's weapon out to gauge your performance? Perhaps let the same buddy test fire and see if he gets the same thing with your rifle? I am thinking you have a lemon in your hardware somewhere. Sorry to say . . .

Here's my initial thoughts, without reading all the posts.

#1. Coreloks - try the Hornady SST's or Nosler BT.
#2. Factory barrel - sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

Hi all-

Just to keep everyone updated, I think the vertical issue was a 1 time fluke. I have gone shooting since the original post, and don't have any particular patterns to speak of (vertical, horizontal etc.) just a general lack of accuracy. I can't get it to pattern better than ~3" at 100 yds. I just bought some HSM ammo with the berger VLD's and will give that a try. I have also heard good things about the hornadys and noslers. If I don't see some improvement, the scope is going to go back to Leupold for a quick once-over, and the rifle is going to a gunsmith for a similar treatment. I know it's a factory gun, but with a lightened trigger, bedded action free floated barrel and lapped locking lugs, I would expect a little better.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.