Varmiting Down Under

muzr257

Went out for a shot on sunday -weather was a bit threatening after a light dusting of snow, but the rabbits and hares were still out and about.
IMG_0829.jpg

I shot this one from the knob just over my right shoulder - only 425 yards but im fireforming loads so i was quite happy - even happier that his two friend stayed to see what all the fuss was about:)
We were looking for wallaby's to shoot as well, but only saw this one, but he was a good size - probably weighed about 70 lbs. An easy shot at about 110 yards as he was sitting up watching me.
IMG_0833-1.jpg

I had an AFS student from Brazil out as well showing him how we shoot - he thought shooting the head off a hare was pretty funny.
IMG_0816-1.jpg

All in all a good day out.

Last edited:
Is that a kangaroo ? i guess i could do my own research but -i'll just let you tell me.

Why do you shoot them -are they non-native to the region ?

What about camels aren't they vermin also ?

Good shooting and a fine rifle you have there .....ME

Is that a kangaroo ? i guess i could do my own research but -i'll just let you tell me.
Why do you shoot them -are they non-native to the region ?
What about camels aren't they vermin also ?
Ol Mike:
I believe Muzr257 is from New Zealand. Kangaroos and wallabies are not native there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there were any native, terrestrial mammals in New Zealand when the Europeans showed up. I understand brushtailed possums are also a big problem down there. Don't think camels are an issue. Never been there myself.

So what can you tell us 'bout your rifle and scope?

New Zealand has only one native mammal - a bat. There is 7 species of deer, Tahr, Chamois plus vermin and all can be hunted year round.

Its is a red neck wallaby that came over from Australia 100+ years ago - they actually trap them and send them back to Australia now as they are a pest here but endangered over there! Best day sniping Wallaby we have had was 97 between 3 of us, over distances of about 200 to 800 yards.
We have an annual hunting competition locally, for hunting Wallaby with the heavist Buck winning a brand new Ruger rifle - weight of about 25kg gutted was the winner. If I had shot him during the compettion I would have definately enter him as I would have had a good chance - any Wallaby that is over 5 feet long is a big one:D
No camels - i hope!
Rifle is a Borden Alpine fitted with a PacNor 28 inch 1 in 8 twist in 243ackley with a Swarovski 6-24, shooting 105 Hornady A-max doing 3030fps with a fireforming load - suprised how fast they going while fireforming the Lapua brass. Very happy with the Borden, the first time I have had a "custom" action.

Regards Muz

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.