Varmint Survey-click dial or hold over

Posted by catshooter:
[ QUOTE ]
OK...

Then on the target turrets, I put a sticky paper cut from 1x3 label stock. I cut it so it covers the top half of the turret, but I can still see the bottom tick marks and moa numbers.

I set the turret so it reads "0" at the 100yd zero, and mark the paper for 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9... etc. for all the range intersect points.

It becomes a self made ballistic cam... and you don't have to keep track of a cheat sheet. It's always there.

So I can range the critter, and dial the range in a few seconds.

Works every time, and is cheap (.39 cents at Staples )

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a thread a while back where this idea was discussed. Scroll down to the pictures to see this in use. I also agreed there that making the moa #s visible would be nice. I would not use lable paper unless you were sure it would come off after being in place for a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
... Scroll down to the pictures to see this in use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harumph - no pictures! We was gypped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would not use label paper unless you were sure it would come off after being in place for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

They come off easily - I take the labels off when I change loads, or move the scope to another rifle.

Did you scroll down past the first few posts? Those pictures are gone. These are the pictures you were looking for about 3/4 of the way down if you open all threads.
.223turretwithwrap.jpg

22-250turretwithwrap.JPG

Note that one wrap is missing some "0" athe the end of the numbers. These are picts of a wrap a member made from the spreadsheet I emailed them.

what kind of scope is it you are using ? canthis be used with all scopes that you can not zero?

Range it, Dial the clicks, squeeze the trigger, watch the dog fall, reset dial to ) and pick up your quarry.

I prefer the clicks to hold over.
FNG-- I have Leupold scopes with target turrets

Mike Alford

Guys thanks for keeping this thread going, its been a good read. If you varmint hunt, don't be shy post and let us know how you do it.

By the way, that homemade "ballistic cam" looks like a great idea. Really can't beat the price either.

Keep posting guys.

From 300 yard's and on out, I use a click chart. courtesy of a JBM ballistic program. my scope's are all Leupold's ranging from the vari-x 2 6x18 target, a mark 4 4.5x14, two 6.5x20 LRT's, and one 8.5x25 LRT. I've never had a problem working the Leupold's up and down, or side to side throughout the erector assembly's range of travel. the JBM program is easy to use as well.

I hunt groundhogs and other small varmints. I love to use 22 mags, 22-250's 6 ppc's & 243AI's. None of my scopes have mildots, and most are plain crosshairs. 2 of my scopes have a standard duplex reticule. All my scopes have target knobs, except one. I have used the ballistic program from big game info to help me plot the drops. I have drop charts for all the chamberings w/ various weight bullets. It took alot of testing, but I did figure out how to manipulate the #'s to make an accurate chart. Please note that the longest I plan on shooting is 1000 yards and I have a firing solution made up for the 243AI on that. All other chamberings are plotted out to 500 or so yards,except the 22Mag. I only shoot the 22 mag out to 200 or so yards, but I do click the scope for the drop past 125 yards. I will holdover out to 200 on the other chamberings, then start clicking for elevation, I hold for the wind, except when using the duplex scopes & depending on the range, I will reference the duplex for holdover & windage.
I learned a whole lot shooting one day at a place we call the "wind tunnel", it's a beautiful farm where there are lots of groundhogs, but the wind is terrible. Well it was a slow day and there were a couple of stationary targets at 525 yards... we just started shooting at them to estimate the windage.... it was cool to make the windage correction and see the hits,,needless to say, I learned a whole bunch that day. SO since then on slow hunting days, I will find or place a stationary target at long range and practice shooting the wind. Thanks,Sam

Last edited:
I have a ballistic mildot reticle on my Burris, and it matches up very nicely with my .204 Ruger shooting 39gr Blitzkings. I sight in at 100, and then have hash marks out to 750 yards. I really like this setup for big dog towns where they are popping up all over the place.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.