Varmint loads for 25-06

Land Rover

O.k My new Tikka T3 lite 25 06 has arrived that I will shoot 117gr Prohunters for Goats, Pigs and Deer.

So I am keen to develop some Varmint loads for my Heavy Barrel P17 25-06.
I have some Hornady 75gr Vmax, Sierra 87gr Varmints, Sierra 90gr Blitzking and 90gr Gamekings. But I am happy to get any bullets/powders that will do the job.
My barrel is 25" long and my rig weighs probably 5kg or 12lbs so should be a good varmint rig. I would mostly be shooting Hares, Rabbits, Magpies and maybe goats with it. I have AR 2217 (H1000). AR 2209 (H4350) and AR2208 (Varget).
The AR2217 works real good with my Heavier 117gr Projectiles. I would like to stretch my Varmint shooting out to 500yards. Is this possible?

cheers Land Rover

Last edited:
I use the 87 Sierra with 52.2 grs IMR 4350 with a CCI 250 mag primer in a Remington case and runs about 3350 fps and is VERY accurate and will red mist and scatters pieces of ground hogs. Either Varget or H4350 should provide you what you want with these light varmint bullets. 500 yards varmints? Caliber is capable if you have an accurate rifle and tighten up on the nut behind the butt-plate. :D

I use the 87 Sierra with 52.2 grs IMR 4350 with a CCI 250 mag primer in a Remington case and runs about 3350 fps and is VERY accurate and will red mist and scatters pieces of ground hogs. Either Varget or H4350 should provide you what you want with these light varmint bullets. 500 yards varmints? Caliber is capable if you have an accurate rifle and tighten up on the nut behind the butt-plate. :D

Right I just checked and IMR 4350 is the same as AR 2209, so all good there.
The rifle shoots 1/2 moa with the 117gr prohunters so hopefully I will be able to develop a similar accuracy load for Varmints.

And then it is all up to that "nut behind the butt-plate" doing it's job, might be a bit ceased up and corroded.

I have two 25/06's that love the 75 gr Hornady V-max with a max load of H-4831sc, and I have crushed ground hogs out to 550yds with them. Haven't shot the load over a chronograph, but book data shows about 3600 fps. Inside 100 yards there's literally nothing left but the skin.

My Savage 110fp does very well with 90gr BlitzKings and IMR4831. RL22 also shoots well in this rifle.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

My 25.06 shoots 75 gr Vmax using IMR 4064 into little bitty groups. I also found, as I have read, that most 25.06 rifle shoot the best with near or max loads. Of course your rifle might vary. Also as "the jigger" posted I also found the 90 gr Sierra's very accurate.

Hey there,

I was pushing 70gr blitz kings out of both my 25-06ai's at 3940 fps with 51gr Varget... It was merely one of those "how fast can I push a projectile" projects... Think I could have gone even faster as I never hit pressure signs.... They started vaporizing out of my older gun and would disappear in a puff of smoke by 200 yards, but in my newer one they made it accurately to 900 yards shooting at steel, was thinking they'd be fun in the gopher patches but kinda lost interest after I acquired some other guns to work on, pretty sure they would have resulted in spectacular gopher acrobatics...
Anyways pretty sure varget and the 75gr vmax's would be a good varmint combo.

God luck!

Orch

Hey there,

I was pushing 70gr blitz kings out of both my 25-06ai's at 3940 fps with 51gr Varget... It was merely one of those "how fast can I push a projectile" projects... Think I could have gone even faster as I never hit pressure signs.... They started vaporizing out of my older gun and would disappear in a puff of smoke by 200 yards, but in my newer one they made it accurately to 900 yards shooting at steel, was thinking they'd be fun in the gopher patches but kinda lost interest after I acquired some other guns to work on, pretty sure they would have resulted in spectacular gopher acrobatics...
Anyways pretty sure varget and the 75gr vmax's would be a good varmint combo.

God luck!

Orch

Sweet, ADI book load is 49.7gr Varget (AR2208) for 3660fps max load.
I also have 90gr gamekings so might try them as well, 45gr Varget (AR2208) for 3312 fps max load. But I think I have a pretty fast barrel so may get a bit higher velocities.
My 117gr prohunters are running at 3200 fps.

My personal varmint load is 75 grain v max 52.5 grains of RL 15 gives me 3750 and half inch 3 shot groups at 200 yards . This is with a savage 26 inch stainless fluted heavy barrel .

O.K I have loaded up 50 Rounds of 75 gr V-max with AR 2209 (H 4350) that I expect to be over 3700 fps from my varmint 25" barrel. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.