Variety in a local reservoir...

Bowhunter57

During the last month or so, I've started fishing Bresler Reservoir and it's been over 15 years or more since I fished it last. My kayak has added an element of fishing to a reservoir that has given it an appeal that I've never had with fishing from the bank.

I'm no longer losing lures in the rocks and I'm catching fish on a regular basis. Not only am I catching fish, but a variety of fish. The first time, I caught a 9" crappie, an 8" bluegill and a 12" smallmouth. The second time, I caught a 24" channel cat and 2 sheepheads that were approx. 4 lbs. The third time, I caught 2 walleyes 14" and 16" and another stupid sheephead , in the 4 lb. range. This last time I was there, I caught a 13" smallmouth and 2 channel cats, a 21" and 23".

Everything has been caught by paralleling the bank in about 12' to 14' of water, trolling with a Rebel crawldad crankbait (floating) and a Rebel shad crankbait (floating). There seems to be plenty of variety out there!

Here's the Thursday evening's catch.

Channelcat1.jpg

catsnbass.jpg

The fishing machine:

OldTown2.jpg

Bowhunter57

Kayak fishing changed everything for me too!

I've kayaked the San Francisco bay to Oregon lagoons and now the mountain lakes here in Montana. My kayak allows me to cover more territory than possible by shore or other boats.

Congrats on your new fishing dynamic. You'll continue to love it!

The variety continues... This evening, the rain stopped long enough to put my kayak in the water and catch a couple of whitebass, in the 12" range. I've not caught any whitebass in over 15 years and I've never caught them in Metzger Reservoir.
smiley_blink.gif

12whitebass.jpg

Bowhunter57

HUAINAMACHERO said:
Nice fishing, and very nice kayak. Share some more pics of the kayak with us.
Here's a better pic of the cockpit area, showing how much room there is inside this model of kayak.

FishingKayak.jpg

Here's a couple of channelcats that I caught, while trolling a Rebel crawdad crankbait. 19" and 24"

24channelcatB.jpg

Bowhunter57

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.