Variable Power Adjustment Moves While Shooting

royinidaho

Scope: Weaver Tactical 4.5 x 14 (Ring full clockwise @ 14X)
Rifle: Rem 700 Holland, QD Brake, weighted to 10.8 Lbs.
Loads: 250gr bullets at ~2800

Defrugulti: after 3 or 4 shots the variable powder setting has sneaked down to 12 or 13 power? POI does not change....

Happy its a 1st focal plane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any experience with this kind of thing?

Roy, I guess that rifle is producing a helluva lot of recoil to cause that...

How easily does the zoom ring move back and forth? Does it seems loose, or about the usual?

Is there a screw on the zoom ring that you could tighten a bit? I've never looked at one of those scopes, but on certain other models I've had you could tighten a screw and they'd get a little stiffer to move...

Don't know for sure...

Dan

The reason your scope changes magnification is the two lenses that do this change their front to back positions from heavy recoil. Each lens is mounted in a ring with pins on each side that slide in a sleeve with two spiral grooves. As you turn the power change ring the sleeve turns and each lens moves a different amount.

I'd send the scope back to Weaver as this problem should not occur.

What do you mean by "Its a first focal plane." The reticule is in the second focal plane behind the two zoom/erector lenses and about two inches in front of the eyepiece lens.

On the Weaver Tactical scopes, they did put the reticle in the first focal plane, like on European variables. This was to allow the mildots to have the correct value at any magnification...

Dan

Oops. I checked with someone else today and yes, I made a boo-boo. A boo-boo is a mistake of only the first magnitude. At least it wasn't worse. Thanks for correcting me. The Weaver Tactical's do have the reticule in the first plane.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts