Varget for 223 AR?

I use 25.0 Varget R7.5 primer, Win. case and Hornady 60gr. V X in a RRA 1/8 varmint barrel. I've heard both ways if you should use EXTREME powder but a dog town can get warm.

In the lighter bullets and slower twists I use W748 and R10.

My AR load is 26 grains Varget, 55gr. V-Max, CCI 450 primers and Winchester brass. I shoot a DPMS with a Shilen 20 inch heavy barrel......shoots in the 2's.

I own 6 AR15, plus 2 more uppers. all are 223 except one. In the 223's I have one 1/10, two 1/9 and four in 1/8 twist. For most varminting I use 26gr Var, 55gr Vmax, rem brass because I get alot of it free, Win primers, trim on a cheap Lee spindle, finish case prep on a RCBS case prep center and load on a Hornady progressive. I weigh one charge out of about every 100 to 150 loads.

The FL length, Small base RCBS Dies are all I use so I know the ammo will work in every rifle I have. I shoot 5 round groups and the best rifle will shoot under a half MOA and the worst about triple that.

It won't win a benchrest match but if I miss a coyote at 600 and less, it wont be the gun or the ammo's fault.

Also I discourage 68, 69 or 75 gr match ammo on coyotes. It will hit them and kill them but they are not DRT and you may not find them. The plastic tipped Vmax or Amax will work much better, but the 75 gr Amax is too long for your AR mag. You can cut out the front of the mag and gain about 1/10 inch but they still do not feed quite like they should.

That my experience with Varget. Only improvement I suggest to Hodgdon is make short cut version that will meter better for progeressive presses.

Hope this helps. 223

In my Bushmaster 9 twist 25.3 grs Varget, WW case, CCI BR-4, 69 gr Sierra MK, OAL 2.260 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Very accurate load.

26.2 grs Varget, LC case, Wolf Mag primer, 52 gr Sierra MK, OAL 2.232, Lee Factory Crimp Die.

26.0 grs Varget, LC case, Wolf Mag Primer, 55 gr Sierra bltz, OAL 2.250, Lee Factory Crimp Die.

All are accurate in my rifle.

I have been researching this subject on various forums for the last couple of weeks the sumation is for the 68 gr hornady BTHP or 69 gr sierra SMK use 24-25 grains of varget or R15. I have loaded the hornady's in varget and R-15 in 24, 24.3, 24.6, 24.9grs. Hopefully I can get to the range this week and will post results afterwards. I will be shooting out a 20" H-BAR RRA coyote rifle.

Well finally made it too the range today! It turned into a marathon with 5 rifles and 9 different loadings!!!!!!!! Great day anyways,.....

The summary of the .223 loads out of my RRA Coyote 20" rifle:
Conditions 91 degrees, 6mph wind coming over right shoulder at 45 degrees, bench with bipod and rear bag

Was it loves 24.0grains and the 68gr hornady BTHP Both varget and R15 had best groups at that loading. Both were 2 touching and one off high right, which proably was the shooter, all other loadings were 1.5"+ groups.

Didn't chronograph due to the marathon of what I was going through will reload both these and proably +/- .2g with 5 round groups and see which shines.

Using Varget as well as Reloader 15 have found that each AR shoots one better than the other.
Working up a load for your AR to get peak accuracy.....Most of the time work towards a tight
group is the idea......Why shoot 5" group at a 100 at 3200 fps when a load at a slower gives
you a sub group.... In some top quality AR you can set your full length dies for it.
On run and gun sports where you shoot more than 300-500 rounds in a short period of time
you may find that the small base dies are your friend.....Lesson learned....
One of our local matches we shoot 300-500 rounds in less than 20 minutes moving a distance of over 1/2 mile moving and running as you shoot targets out to 250 to 400 yards as well as in front of you.......Mostly rifle but pistol is required as well......Which is from 100- 150 rounds......
First year FL dies and problems 2nd year sb dies and more lube......walked away happier.....

I have experience Varget Powder with rem srbr primers and nosler 69 gr custom comp bullets. and lc cases. Tried 25 gr, and 25.5 grain of varget. They both work well. But I do better with H 335.

I know you guys are all going to laugh at me but I've loaded 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips with 27.0 grains of Varget (**** near to the very top and it is a compressed load) and shot them in a 1 in 8 inch twist AR and we got one hole groups at 100 yards.

I was afraid that these bullets wouldn't hold up to that much twist, but here in the dry climate of Utah they have done okay and they absolutely WRECK any little fury creature they hit.

I also used this exact same load out of a Ruger M77 and could send P-Dogs sky high out to 400 yards. I don't know if the bullet would hold up in high humidity or lower elevations but it's worked wonders here.

I have a DPMS 24" heavy varmint barrel upper on my Colt lower, RRA Match Trigger. Target load: .25moa with FL sized Lapua brass,25g Varget, CCI BR primers, 69gr SMK's. For varmints, same except 55gr VMax, 26.5 gr. Varget. This load also produces .25 MOA. Good success with feeding, and no case trimming with RCBS FL X Dye. Up to 700rounds through this rifle on my original 100 cases with no trimming. My buddy gets similar results with these loads in his Bushmaster Heavy barrel Varmint AR.

Well I dont shoot a AR but I have used Varget in 223
in three differant bolt guns

1- 25 grs of varget 2950 FPS SD was huge at 55.36 but groups are great(ruger m77 target model)

2-24 grs of varget with 2753 fps and a SD of 8.42 (remington sps)

2 24.5 grns with 2890 FOS and a SD of 26.36 (reminton sps)

All loads are pushing the 55 gr vmax and all are sub moa

we also have one gun that really like the BL-C2

retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.