vanguard seating debth

earlcurtis67

I've been loading 90g sierra HPBTs, 85g nos. BTs, and 117 g hor SPBTs using sammi coals on all three loads. I'm wanting to mess with seating depths on the sierra and hornady pills because there showing promise. By removing the spring from the bolt i got the following bolt face to land dimensions; 90g = 2.736, 117g = 2.720 ( ogive) From searching around on the web I've learned that "most" weatherbys like to be seated close the the lands, so my question is should i start just touching the lands and work back, in say .005" increments or .020" off and work up. Using IMR 4831 max for the 117g hornadys is 53g and my best load is 52.5. Max load for the sierras is 55.5 but my best load is 52g. also with 4831. I would also like to say that of all the methods i've tried, removing the fireing pin spring has been the best method for finding the distance to the lands, it's the only one thats allowed me to get repeatable measurements and confidence that I'm not jamming bullets into the lands. There is a good youtube video on " tcombest's channel" that helped me out. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from the Ya'll on this and any other tips would be great E

What caliber? My vanguards have had good luck right around a start of .020 some even .025. My experience the vanguards have shot real well backed off the rifling. I have one that shoots factory ammo into one enlarged hole at 200yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.