Utah rifle deer

bb204

I would appreciate any tips or info on areas to hunt in the Central unit, General Season Rifle, in Utah. Probably will stay somewhere in or near Nephi. How bad was the winter ? What does the deer crop look like this year ? Thanks bb204

I haven't read what the fish and game says. But, I don't think the winter had much impact in that area. I live there. Lots of great country. I think the extra moisture will make for a banner year for antler growth. I've been out of town all spring so haven't gotten to do my usual scouting.

What kind of areas are you looking for? Do you want to backpack, horsepack, day hunt, road hunt...? Most of Utah is pretty competitive. Scouting and getting off the beaten path are usually critical.

I think the Mt Nebo area by Nephi is in the Central Unit.

There's lots of rugged roadless areas there that big bucks like.

Also look at Birdseye area.

Bottom line -- Rugged and roadless (unless you just want a young buck)

When you look at the Nebo area, Birdseye is the area between highway 89 and Loafer Mt. Try National Geographics Trails Illustrated map for the Mt Nebo wilderness area. It will cover both places. Take a look at the Mona Pole road. It bisects the Nebo wilderness area and provides access to a lot of backcountry. Blacks canyon east of Nebo accesses more great country. The Nebo area is very popular. Get the map and spend some time on google earth. You'll find good areas with less pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.